Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

parts only title?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 1-bad-burb, May 12, 2006.

1. 1-bad-burb

1-bad-burb Registered Member

well I just found out the suburban I've been looking at has a pink "parts only" title, is there anything that can be done about that? or can a vehicle never be retitled after a parts only title? it was totaled because it took a hit to the side of the truck, and its only body damage and isnt that severe at all, I realy dont see why they would make it parts only:confused: theres absolutley no frame or drivetrain damage:( this is making me sad thinking that a very nice silverado burb is going to have to get stripped because of a large dent in the right rear quarter panel, I also have an 85 burb scottsdale, maybe the vin plates might accidentaly get switched?:haha:

2. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

yeah, what you said would be your best bet...... make 2 into 1

3. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

4. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

They know make it a "parts only title" because it was an insurance claim vehicle and they now do that for liability reasons....

5. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

never heard of that type of title, out here if a vehicle was "totalled" it gets a salvage title. BUT, the vehicle can still be repaired, and legal again, after a class 3 inspection (whatever that is) and then it only get a "salvage restored" title...working with two vehicles here with salvage titles now.:crazy:

6. 1-bad-burb

1-bad-burb Registered Member

so that small numerical plate with numbers on it in my truck needs to be taken off and cleaned, cough cough, so how hard would it be to get it out for ummm cleaning?:haha:

looks like I might be getting a realy nice DD burb:D

7. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

There was another post on his in the last few days. My suggestion is o do whatever "kit" car guys do. They register them somehow, and build them from scratch. I don't know why you couldn't do the same.

8. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

they're simple rivets, available through www.trimtags.com, i believe they're about $10 a piece. i have removed them in previous restorations by simply cutting the ears off of them with a pair of sidecutters. then, when the area is ready for reinstallation, simply reinstall them as per the instructions. IIRC you use a nut and a bolt to properly compress them.

9. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

another way...

I've seen body shops grind the rivets off from underneath,and then use double faced tape or super glue to mount the VIN tag back on,leaving the original rivet heads intact and unmolested..done carefully,its very difficult to tell it was ever removed or replaced..do this at your own risk however..its rare to get caught,but it IS illegal..

I would call the RMV and ask what options you'd have..it might be possible to get it re-titled..just dont give them any numbers or details..just ask a hypothetical question,like "I'm thinking of buying a truck,but its got a "parts only" title..is it possible for me to restore it,and get a new title??"...ask them what if you swapped a different cab or body on it,if you would have to use the "donor" trucks title and VIN...

I hate seeing good trucks get scrapped only because some moron lost the title,and doesn't want to bother applying for a duplicate..I see trucks way better than mine sit in a boneyard,just because a stupid peice of paper got mislaid...what a waste...:( ..and there are other trucks a few feet away with "clean" titles all rotted to death ,being fed to the crusher!..:doah:

10. duanel

duanel Registered Member

You could also check to see if your state has a website for their dol and see what the requirements are. in washington it would be http://www.dol.wa.gov/vs/tr-salvage.htm and all you would need to do is a vin inspection and provide bill of sale or reciept for major parts required to restore vehicle and depending on the age (and value prior to being wrecked) of vehicle you will get either a rebuilt title or normal title if old enough.

11. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

call your local DMV and ask.. I know here in Ohio I called them a few years back about buying a vehicle out of a junkyard. The girl at my local DMV said she could title anything as long as it has a VIN# and I bring her a bill of sale from the junkyard with the VIN# on it.