Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

parts stores

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by MUDNUTT, Sep 16, 2003.

1. MUDNUTT

MUDNUTT 1/2 ton status

let me first say that i know that for every bad parts store/counter person there are at least 10 good ones. now the rant.

i needed to replace the cap and rotor on my blazer today. headed out to the local checker to get 1.i wanted a cheaper checker brand as im kind of short on money but of course they are out. guy says they have 1 "kit" left. goes over and gets the accel kit off the shelf. the 1 i did not want because of the no money thing. as it was the only 1 i go ahead and pay the $27 they wanted for it. get it home and start to put the coil in it when i notice the cap is cracked. now i have to go back to checkers to get another and wouldnt you know it they didnt have any more, i got the last 1. guy askes me if i want him to order me 1 or do i want my money back. after i get my money back i head over to carquest to get one. they have a c/q brand 1 and its only 14 bucks. cool only cost half as much. go home and start to put the coil in again when i notice it only has 6 plug wire terminals. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif wtf. back to the parts store yet again where i have to argue with the guy for 20 min. that i need a cap with 8 terminals and not 6. guy finally chuckles and mumbles something about cap being put in the wrong box.

ok now im done. i realize the parts stores do a large volume of buisness during a day but am i asking to much for the correct part and them actually having it when i ask for it?

deck /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. scrappy88

scrappy88 1/2 ton status

One word: NAPA. Sure they're usually a bit more expensive but they've never given me the wrong part, almost always have the part I'm looking for in stock, and have hard to find parts that the parts guys in the other stores look at me and go "huh?" when I ask for a part. Plus the guys there usually know what they are doing. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I used to think Napa was great until I started selling Auto parts. Take a look at some brand names inside a Napa sometime and you might start being more careful about what you buy there. I DID buy my clutch there though and I got a great deal on it and it's a Zoom brand clutch. Last time I was in Napa they didn't even have Fel-Pro brand gaskets. What kinda crap is THAT?

Your problem is that apparently the people behind the counter at your stores were morons. Every store has idiots.

Somehow, even when I go into an auto parts store as a customer, I'd always check things like a cap to make sure it was the right one and had 8 prongs on it. That's just me though.

However, I have seen things in the wrong box before. Even had the same part number on the starter that we're referring to. It wasn't the right one though. I ordered another for the guy with the same part number and got a totally different product.

4. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Thats b/c Fel-Pro is WAY overpriced...the ONLY FelPro stuff I am okay with forking over the cash for are the PT head gaskets, and even that is hard(didn't want to spend 60 for headgaskets on my 454 so I went GM, plus the compressed thickness is 1/2 that of FelPro...I have VictorReinz gaskets ALL over my truck and have yet to have one leak...Hell my 1987 doesn't leak ANYTHING...no a drop I can't say that about any of my parents car...my dads WRX leaks, Dads 2500HD with 8.1 leaks... and those are both 2002 cars...dude I used to knock napa, the I started working their...All the Gold Line filters, made by WIX; all the Napa belts, made by Gates; LUK clutchs, Napa oil is repackaged Valvoline. As long as you get the premium lines you are in the green...I mean hell, most value lines are "value" for a reason...they are lacking in QUALITY...just my $.02

BTW, all the NGA gaskets are Victor Reinz which is a divison of Dana Corp...All napa chassis parts, Dana made em...

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Every parts store has value crap and good stuff. Even Autozone. You get what you pay for in auto parts.

I use only Fel-Pro gaskets. You can use whatever you want. I guess getting a 20% discount right off the bat helps though.

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Iwas a counterman for 20 years---worst years of my life!!(so far).We had lots of problems with parts in the wrong boxes--even had used cores come in from the warehouse in a new box--try explaining that to a customer who waited 2 days for a starter /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif.Next time you buy a part dont leave until you look in the box!!--and see where it was made--china--mexico--israel--spain--seems like all our parts dont come from the usa much anymore,maybe thats why theres a lot of crap on the market lately--its all about who's cheaper now,not better.I got tired of having to be an automotive genius and figure out what motor was in people's cars,rude customers,and putting windsheild wipers on customers cars in the rain and cutting my fingers to hell--and 53 hours aweek for 8 bucks an hour--I can do better flipping burgers,and all i have to know is how to say--"want fries with that?. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

7. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Heheh.

Monday night I find my 88 454 burb has a vac leak. Sure enough it's the gasket between the intake and TBI adaptor. Pretty comon to fail so I have read. Chevy dealer right accross the street from where I work...Keith is a sales person there. Hit them yesterday. Don't have it in stock. Could have it for me today. Well I wanted to fix it last night. So I pass on having them order it. Autozone....nope....Pepgirls....nope.......NAPA.....nope......Advance....nope. So stopped at the dealer this morning and ordered it. They were 30% cheaper then any of the parts stores. Dealer is starting to get my vote for most things now. They are meeting or beating many parts prices. REAL A/C parts are not much more then the aftermarket junk.

They will have it in the morning. Read that as in 24 hours, not 3 days like zone, 2 days like Napa. Service is better and hardly ever a line. Counter guy actually has a clue. Has pictures of everything so he can show me what he's ordering to make damn sure I get the right part. The extra money is starting to be worth it.

Guess I will mow the lawn tonight LOL.

8. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

I hate when that happens. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

I learned along time ago to thoroughly check and inspect the parts at the counter before purchasing them and driving home. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

9. MUDNUTT

MUDNUTT 1/2 ton status

i understand the "get what you pay for" thing. most times i would have bought the accel stuff without a problem but as i said i am a little tight on money right now. i agree with you on napa. 9 out of 10 times they are the best if a little high on price. we do have one here in town but i dont realy like the people who work there. parked the k5 outside 1 day, went in to get a m/c for a 3/4 ton and the guy looked out the window and told me it wouldnt fit on the k5. had to fight with him for like 15min to get him to realise it was for a totaly different truck. carcrap had an add in the flyer for some 2-1/4 inlet and outlet turbo mufflers for like 15 bucks. went to buy some and they refused to sell them to me becuase the stock # was for a chevy monza and i was gonna but them on a truck. man i was pissed that day /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif.

deck /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif