Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Parts swapping - Chevy D60 to F*rd D60??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Greg72, Jan 13, 2006.

1. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I'm considering swapping over to a F*rd front axle (HP '78/'79 style) to allow me to use the Doubler kit I've got (also F*rd version)

If I wanted to, could I steal all the "outer" parts from the Chebby axle and bolt them on (knuckles, 35-spine outers, nice Warn Premiums, spindles, rotors, calipers, caliper mounts). To my understanding, the outers are supposed to be pretty interchangeable.....??? This would allow me to also keep my high steer arms intact (though I think I'll need to re-think my ram mount, since there'll be a pumpkin in the way!! :D

I could sell the Chevy D60 "as is" but I doubt anyone wants to pay extra for the beefier stuff I put onto it...

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yep. You have to swap everything from the inner Cs out. stub axles, knuckles, breaks, etc. But it is doable. I was planning to do this when I first got my HP 60 but the Ford parts needed to be replaced and it made no sense to sink money into the Chevy 60 with Ford outers when I was just going to sell it. At this point I wish I had swapped and had a Ford HP with Chevy outer parts.

3. Chaddy

Chaddy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Im pretty sure that all Dana stuff swapps out. Ford's have 35 spline outers stock I believe.

4. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

The only stock 35 spline outers are Dana 70s from the 70s. Ford uses 30 like Gm and dodge.

5. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

What advantage does the gm stuff have over the ford? (other than the upgraded parts greg mentioned)

I have heard about ford knuckles being weaker, but have not heard much to support these hearings. The dedenbears are also an option.

6. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I can think of one reason, running 15" wheels. Hear it can be a pain to run them of Ford. I thought about this when I do mine, but I already bought the calipers.....and already have 16s.

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

15" rims. Availabilty of brake kits(can't find a 1/2 or 3/4 ton kit for my HP 60 right now). Stronger knuckles(casting is thinner between the spindle mount and the upper kingpin than it is on the Chevy/Dodge setup). Chevy knuckles have a higer tie rod mounting location if my memory serves me.

Fords have 30 spline outer shafts as well but they are different shafts. They are slightly shorter. Thus why I said those have to be swapped as well. GM and Dodge have slightly longer stub shafts.

8. sledheadak

sledheadak 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

ford also used 5 smaller studs to hold on the spindle compared to chevys 6 studs that are larger 1/2-9/16 just use the correct inner shaft and the outer to match the brand of outers.just did the ford outer swap to the chevy axle.

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I believe the spindle studs are the same size. Yes there are only 5 vs the 6 of the Dodge and GM version. Never heard of anyone actually having a problem there though. Youa re right though, Ford uses 1/2" studs instead of 9/16ths. I think I may well drill out my hubs and put in the 9/16s studs. Different lug nuts front and rear will be annoying.

10. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

Great, I learn new info every day. Thanks fellas :D

11. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Well thanks for all the help, but as much as I hate to admit it.....it will be cheaper for me to simply buy a 3RD ORD Doubler, and sell this F*rd version to someone else.

By the time I add up the acquisition cost of a F*rd HP60, parts swapping, replacing any bad parts I find, locating and rebuilding a F*rd version 205....I'm spending more than if I just bought a new Doubler and used my existing (and known good) D60 and NP205....

Guess I'll start watching the "FOR SALE" area on a more regular basis. :deal:

12. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

Just do what Watson did on Wally and get a ProRock (or whatever you want) center section, some tubes, and after market end forgings. You will get stronger parts, more ground clearance, high pinion, and be able to use all Chevy stuff in it.

13. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

except ring gear. Pro Rocks use the reverse rotation ring gear.