Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Parts truck what to keep?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by kj1963falcon, Nov 9, 2006.

1. kj1963falcon

kj1963falcon Registered Member

Hey guys

Last weekend I bought a 76 GMC 2WD long box that is in great shape that I plan to part out with a friend.

I am currently plannin on keeping the doors, hood, and fenders and some other misc body parts and interior parts like the instrument cluster and parking break.

Does anyone know if I can use the steering column from a 2WD on a 4WD?
    Can I use the steering box?

I am just looking for any suggestions on other parts that would be worth keeping.

Thanks, K.J.

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

2wd steering box is used for doing crossover steering and yes columns will swap over also

3. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

rear axle if its 3/4 ton and you plan on swapping in a 14bff. rear springs if you plan on running 52" front springs. and the rear spring hangers. you can use the front rear spring hanger to build a homemade shackle flip.

4. kj1963falcon

So if I ever decide to do crossover steering the 2wd steering box would come in handy? I am glad to hear that the column will work, mine is trashed.

big dan I already have a 3/4 ton truck and the truck I bought has a 12bolt rear so my friend is going to use the axel under his 49 chevy street truck. So if I get the rear spring hangers I can use those to create a home made lift:confused:

Sorry for the dumb questions, this is my first chevy and I still trying to learn all of the tricks.

K.J.

5. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

save it all!

Before I scrap a truck,I unbolt everything that will unscrew!..and decide whether to sell or keep it..i've saved myself a lot of money and time searching for parts in junk yards by having my own "stash" at home!..I keep just about everything but the ciggarette butts in the ash tray...:p:

Just the other day my headlights refused to work..traced the problem to the dimmer switch..I had 3 "good used" ones in my parts pile,and the wiring harness that plugs onto it..saved at least 10-15 bucks and a trip to a parts store..things like that dont take much room to store,but can save your butt on a sunday, when all the stores are closed!..Special bolts like seat belt,caliper,and other weird hardware like headlight adjusters are sometimes hard to get,its worth keeping..

I have at least 6 starters and alternators,heater blower motors,light switches,2 non-tilt steering colums,partial wiring harnesses,a few floor "tunnel" covers,driveshafts,and a bunch of other leftovers..having them usually ensures the truck your driving will never need them--its almost like it knows you have spares,so it doesn't let those parts wear out or screw up!.:crazy:

6. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

yeah if you look around on here there are quite a few people running shackle flips as an alternative to blocks or new springs in the rear, plus they offer more flex then the stock shackle setup. there are a few companies like ord and diy4x that sell shackle flips but I just cut off the stock rear shackle hanger and bolted up a 2wd front rear spring hanger. if you buy one it will bolt up in the same holes as the stock hanger but if you use the hangers from another truck you have to position them where you want them on the frame and drill new holes so it takes a little more work but it saved me some money so it was worth it. if you want more info Ill see if I can get some pics this weekend and send them to you.

7. kj1963falcon

diesel4me - thanks for the ideas you just reminded me that my heater fan sounds like it is about to die. I didn't even think about things like the headlight adjusters or wiring harness. In fact my wiring harnes is in horrible shape so it would probably be a good idea to grab this one as a backup.

The truck that I am parting out is in such good shape I kind of feel bad destroying it, but it will help me improve my truck.:D

Does anyone have any idea what straight rust free 76 bed is worth?
    I am planning on selling the bed but I don't know how much I should ask for it.

bid dan - thanks for the info I will take a look around the boards and read up a little and see if it is something that I feel like I could do. I currently already have a lift but it is just blocks in the rear and I will need to upgrade sometime.

Thanks,

8. fireplug

fireplug 1/2 ton status

Bed will get you $800 up here!