Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Partway through an MSD Ignition install......One Question!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Greg72, Mar 20, 2002.

1. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I'm adding the MSD 6AL Box to my existing HEI setup. The instructions show the wiring diagram and which wires to use, so that parts all cool. I've got the GM module removed and the new wires installed in the base of the distributor.

I bought the MSD "contact button" for the distributor cap. Supposedly the factory one doesn't have the right resistance and can MELT the cap....so they tell you to swap it out. It's just a small metal button with a spring on it. I thought that it must install from the TOP of the distributor cap, but when I pulled the black cover off....I just saw the "coil" there. Do I need to remove it to get to where the button goes......?.....or does the button somehow install from underneath?

2. lgk5

lgk5 1/2 ton status

pull the coil off it's under it

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

The resistence bushing aka "contact button" goes below your coil. When you remove your coil (assuming incap HEI) there is a black pad below your coil. Pull the pad, and the resistence bushing is right there. Also, when I bought my new MSD cap and rotor it said that it did NOT need the low resistence bushing installed with MSD 6 series igntions. So I installed the stock style one in there like it said too.

4. Greg72

Hoss,

I didn't really explain it clearly....I bought JUST the 6AL Box so far. I would REALLY like to get that "low profile" billet distributor and coil too.....but that was another $300. It seems like I can do just the MSD box for now, and add those other parts later on.

So "yes" my HEI has the coil built-in to the top of the distributor cap.....I didn't know why that cap was so BULKY until tonight, but I also knew that I'd never seen a conventional COIL in my engine compartment either....so I probably should have been able to figure that one out!!! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Things are always easier....once you've got experience!

Thanks for the help guys....The rest of the install looks like it's going to be pretty uneventful.

5. Hossbaby50

If you are not installing an MSD coil with the box, you might see if you can find a cheap stock replacement coil (used) to have in the truck. Someone on here probably has one they would sell you cheap. MSD boxes have been known to burn out stock coils. Sometimes they last a really long time, sometimes they last just days with an MSD box. Just a word of advice that might keep you from being stuck in BFE.

6. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

Could you post when your done with install, and give some feedback on how you like it, "Impressed" "Dissapointed" im thinking about installing that aswell and would like a few opinions of people with them,,, Thx..... good luck

7. Hossbaby50

MSD ignitions are a great add on. I love mine. My box is the same a Gregs, but mine is the "offroad" box, and is waterproof, and vibration proof. His does have a built in rev limiter that mine doesn't though. I would highly recommend MSD to anyone.

8. Greg72

Josh,

I'm not hoping for much.....so I don't think I'll be dissappointed! /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif I think the guys that get bummed out are the ones expecting HP gains by adding an MSD box. From the reviews I've read, there isn't any power added.

The benefit is supposed to be more of a "crispness" in throttle response, and more stable idle....things like that. I wouldn't mind if my fuel economy improved, but I don't think that's going to happen!

I'll be sure to post pics of the install and give some first impressions when I get it finished.

9. Hossbaby50

It helped my fuel economy. It also helps alot with throttle response on carbed vehicles. At least it did mine. Also my truck starts easier, has better passing power, and just runs a heck of alot better then stock HEI did. I do have the box, HEI coil, cap & rotor, and wires to though which help.