Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Passed emissions today!!/33's on a standard dyno??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by newyorkin, Aug 11, 2001.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Passed emissions today!!/33\'s on a standard dyno??

Anybody ever have a problem running 33's on a state dyno? Every buddy I have that's a state inspector says he would do sniffer only, no dyno (and of course they're all off or work 300 miles away when my sticker expires, today)...
    Every shop I went to wouldn't do a sniffer only, they told me to go get 33's before they'd test it. I finally found a guy that I sorta knew but not really that did it for me. He strapped it down real good at the back, though, and my truck was bouncing around like crazy duing the test...
    Anybody else ever go through that crap?? "change your tires, and then we'll dyno it"???

Just wanted to share the results: k5.8m.com
    **Ever stop to think... Then forget to start again?**

2. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

Re: Passed emissions today!!/33\'s on a standard dyno??

just 1 more reason i am glad i live in the south
    here in SC we have no inspection at all anymore
    until 95 we did have safety inspection, just lights horn blinker tires basic stuff, and if you couldnt pass your car needed to be off the road
    but they did away with that
    my bro ives in CONN and he says they even have TRASH POLICE that go around and make sure you put the right stuff in the right can. What do you do for a living? I make sure your garbage is to standards. LOL
    you have to be kidding me!!!!!

It needs a bigger motor.
    what's in it now?
    doen't matter it NEEDS A BIGGER MOTOR
    89 350tbi/700r4h/np208/4.11's

3. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

What the Fk does the state require a Dyno test for? That has nothing to do with anything!!!! When it comes to weather or not the car is enviromentally and physically safe...
    ???????? Can someone please fill me in here!!!!

Does anyone have a grinding disk I can borrow?[​IMG]3/4 in progress[​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</a>

4. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

They have the same thing in CA. When you get it smoged you have to put it up on the rollers and they go through a acceleration and constant speed run with the "sniffer" up the tail pipe. They are just looking for one more way to stick it to you!

When the required the shops to go to the dyno tester alot of the shops just stopped doing smog tests because of the $30,000 that they have to fork over for the machine

That is why I bought a '71.......It is smog exempt.

'71 Blazer CST w/ a 400sbc, 4" lift, 36" Supper Swampers, and alot of rust

5. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

We do the dyno thing here in Atlanta, too. Actually I'm about an hour outside of the city, but it's still considered metro area. I have heard of of people having problems with tire size. It just depends on the guy running the test. They rolled mine up there with 35s and didn't even strap it down. Ask Grim about the time they tried to put his '75 on the rollers with an unconverted NP203.

Jim '80 GMC & '73 Blazer
    Tread Lightly!
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.gmck5.rockcrawler.com>www.gmck5.rockcrawler.com</a>

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

My Jimmy has been dynoed 3 times with my 35's...it does jump around some but they never strapped it down or anything. When I showed up with my 36" TSL's a couple of months ago they jsut shook their heads and did an idle test only...

Now they've found a way to screw the folks with AWD too. They use a double roller dyno and do a drive test. The front set of rollers can be adjusted for wheelbase and they have safety bars to keep the vehicle on the dyno...

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

7. xnoahx

xnoahx 1/2 ton status

Yeah, i went the exempt route. When i was looking to buy a blazer i only wanted a 73 or earlier. I would have rather had a first gen because my uncle had a bad a$$ competition orange 71 and i loved riding in that thing with the top off. I felt like the coolest kid in town. But i couldnt afford his so i bought my own

Check out my 73 K5 <a target="_blank" href=http://members.theglobe.com/xnoahx/73k5.htm>http://members.theglobe.com/xnoahx/73k5.htm</a>

8. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

That is the biggest crock of (s)hit I have ever heard of. Your motor aint gonna run no different with the tires turning at 2000 rpms than it would sitting still at 2000 rpms. So why do they have to do the dyno?????
    Why cant they jsut stick the sniffer up your a(ss) and tell you to hols the gas at 2000 rpms??? That would do the same thing.

LOL!!!!! Bigjbear, that would be hilarious with the Grim thing and the 203 if he'd have just put it in gear and nailed it adn drove right off.

Does anyone have a grinding disk I can borrow?[​IMG]3/4 in progress[​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</a>

9. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Actually its a 'loaded' dyno test. It provides resistance so it simulates 'driving'. I've seen the numbers my truck produces with the motor just running at 2000 RPM and I've seen the numbers when its on the dyno and they are quite a bit different.
    I don't agree with the whole emmissions test thing here though. Its too much of a scam, its really in the testing company's interest for you to fail. Re-tests here cost as much as the original test...

I have yet to have any problems with any of the driving tests, on the dyno or off. The idle test is the one that usually will fail me if I'm not careful. Any cam with a longer than stock duration will give you some dirty numbers at idle, in fact for testing day I turn up my idle to 1000 RPM...

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

10. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Yeah, like tRusty said, the results are much different. They actually take the car for a 5 minute drive on the dyno with the sniffer up the pipe, with load simulation for hills, etc.
    I've actually seen cars that would fail sitting still, pass on the dyno.
    The fear they all have with the tires is that they'll jump off the dyno if the dyno rollers size are not proportioned to the tire size right, I.E. rollers too much smaller than the tires. I kinda see why they would be afraid of it, after watching my truck bounce around on it yesterday...

Ratch
    <a target="_blank" href=http://k5.8m.com>k5.8m.com</a>

11. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

In CO, they make you put on 35s or smaller. Everyother year on '82 +, $24, every year with the old style idle/2500 rpm test for '81-, ~$15.

What burns me is that diesels are every year $45, and you have to go to a diesel shop, not the regular emmisions test place, but the test equiptment is probably cheaper anyway.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), 700R4, NP208, Dana 60/14 bolt, 4.56s, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I'm SO glad we don't have emissions here.

What I was wondering is, why would you fill up with Premium before you go to the emissions test place? It burns more slowly, so I imagine it'd make your emissions worse, rather than better because it hasn't all burned when it goes out the tailpipe.

So, what exactly was your reasoning?

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

13. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Wait until one DOES jump off the dyno. I assume like here, everyone has to let a state employee drive your vehicle? Talking about unconverted 203's, wait until one of them jumps off the dyno and hits something. That will be the end of state dyno tests on 4wd vehicles. Even a truck with a bad shifter (208 comes to mind) that somehow gets into 4HI by itself is scary. I'm surprised the states are willing to take that liability risk in the first place. Heck, I've heard of the employees actually breaking shifters inside of peoples cars, because they didn't know how to use them...

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    No anti-theft measures on your truck? No pity when its stolen

14. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

No, what they'll do is make 35's and larger illegal or something...that's the way it has been going lately.

Actually, they'd prolly require you to have smaller tires for inspection.

No prohibiting allowed!!!!

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/muddin4fun79blazer/>http://www.geocities.com/muddin4fun79blazer/</a>

15. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Yeah, that's what a guy wanted me to do, go away and come back with 31's or smaller before he'd think about me taking the test.

On the premium thing, I don't know the science behind it, but the truck runs a little smoother on it, seems to get better mileage, and emmissions are lower. I don't know that on this specific vehicle, but on other vehicles I've tested, I've failed on 87, then passed on 93. Whether it burns faster or slower, I think it burns more completely...

Yes, here in NY you have to let a state certified inspector drive it on the dyno. They're supposed to have 2 do the rest, one watching lights, etc, one actuating them. I almost always know the guys doing my inspections, though, so I've only had a real safety inspection once, when in PA, with no emissions...
    I don't know what the guy did with my old K5 a couple years ago, but somehow, he didn't put it on the dyno, just did the idle test.

Ratch
    <a target="_blank" href=http://k5.8m.com>k5.8m.com</a>