Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Passenger door...creaks/hard to open/close

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by SHINTON, Jun 24, 2002.

1. SHINTON

SHINTON 1/2 ton status

Hey guys, been lurkn awhile, time to pull the Jimmy out and work on it some this month. The passenger door has been creaking and hard to open the entire time I have owned it. It does not appear to be just needing grease on the outside/flat slide thingy.

Something internal I guess? Is there a write up on this somewhere. I think this is a normal hinge wearing out kinda issue. Course if there was a really great way to convert to removable doors that would be even better, but until that day....

Sam Hinton

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

How is the alignment of the doors? Is the gap at the top larger than the bottom? If the alignment is good (and even if it isn't) the first thing I would do is replace the bushings in the door hinges. Do you have the hard top on?

3. SHINTON

SHINTON 1/2 ton status

The hard top is off, did it when on though. In looking at the door the alignment seems ok, shutting easily, etc. Looking at the door, there is a flat piece of metal that goes into the door itself. I think we put grease on it before which helped some.

Are the kits easy to find? Any ideas on who may sale them? I will hit up NAPA I think I saw someone reference them.

I really wish I could get something to take the doors off, sounds as if you take a real chance in bending the frame etc esp since I take mine offroad with my club.

Sam

4. JIMs70K25

JIMs70K25 1/2 ton status

Had the same thing, I believe stock the bushings are nylon the ones I ordered from Classic industries came with bronze bushings. You should be able to find them in the help section of your local auto parts store.