Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Passenger Door Not Shutting All The Way. . . ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by m1ndless, Mar 13, 2007.

1. m1ndless

m1ndless Banned

My passenger door doesnt shut all the way, I tightened all the bolts, any idea what could be the problem or how to fix it? It sits too low, if you look up from sitting in the passenger seat you can see right through it caust it doesnt meet up with the body. .

2. WhiteBurb

WhiteBurb 1/2 ton status

Is the plastic ring still on the striker bolt? I had all kinds of door drama until I figured out that the missing plastic was the cause.

3. stoney126

stoney126 1/2 ton status

X2 if the plastic is gone the door just hangs there loose. I know I gotta do the same to my truck:D If the door itself isnt lining up maybe new body bushing are in order?

4. m1ndless

m1ndless Banned

What is the striker bolt? I will check, but I am not sure that that is hahaha

5. WhiteBurb

WhiteBurb 1/2 ton status

It's the bolt that sticks out of the door jamb, that the door latch hooks onto.

6. m1ndless

m1ndless Banned

That is what I was thinking it was, when I get home from work I will check it all out, thanks.

7. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

sounds like the hinge pins may be bad, or realign the hinges.

8. 454k30

454k30 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

did this just all of a sudden start happening? if that is the case then something is broken. Start with the striker bolt but if your door isnt even getting that far I'd look for hinges ripping out of door frame. I saw that on my buddies truck. It happened because his girlfriend used the door to help herself into the truck and she was....not thin.

9. onetonbb74

onetonbb74 1/2 ton status

look for cracks near the door hinge as no matter how many times i aligned it, it was still off until i welded the cracks. The bushings are always shot on those doors as well, id check out the hinges and see if replacing the brass bushings inside the hinge helps any.

10. m1ndless

m1ndless Banned

Well the black plastic on the striker bold is all fubared up, how do I replace this? I think it may be the problem, its all chunked up and the door doesnt close all the way.

11. WhiteBurb

WhiteBurb 1/2 ton status

It should take either a hex or torx bit. All you have to do is unscrew the old and screw the new one in. The "nut" on the inside is just a piece of metal with threads. It will probably stay put, but if it does fall down, you'll have to take the interior piece off to retrieve it.

12. m1ndless

m1ndless Banned

Where can I get a new one, autozone? Checker? etc

13. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

The first thing you need to do is determine if the hinges are shot..

The striker really doesn't mean anything to initial door alignment... If the door is low, it's in the hinges... Either the bushings or alignment...

A proper striker with the plastic will bring a door up into position when slammed, but the issue is in the hinge.. Bodyshops are often hanging doors with no striker initially...

Open the door a foot or so, stand at the back of it, grab underneath and pick it up, if you have up and down movement, the hinges need to be rebuilt...

If it's tight, let me know and I can walk you thru aligning it...

Not sure if autozone, etc would have striker parts.. Napa may.. LMC should definitely... If you need hinge kits, the dealer can usually still get them if a good autoparts store can't..

The striker threads into a captured steel plate in the post..

14. m1ndless

m1ndless Banned

The door is a little loose but the problem is its not catching the striker bolt all the way I think, when you shut it its really loose, but doesnt complelt open, like you know when you shut your car door too lightly, and its not closed, but its not open either, and you can kinda pull it a little bit? Does that make any sense? Ill do the bolt first, cause its REALLY fubared, and if thats not it, I will check the hinges and such.

It looks like its catching one of the gashes in the striker, and not clamping on all the way, but I am probably wrong