Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Passenger side tail light wont work. Why?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by afroman006, Mar 23, 2003.

1. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

My passenger side tail light stopped working today. Nothing on it works. Blinker, brakelight or back up light. I replaced the bulb in the brake light but still nuthin. I checked the fuse box and no fuses are blown. What is it? Is there anything I should check that I havent? Thx

2. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

well, since i have to rewire my taillights monday, I'll give you all the reasons why mine DON'T work and you can go from there. First, my truck is an 87 blazer. I live in the salt crazy northeast. My truck has 2 different trailer harness's wired in and neither work. connections were spliced in and never sealed from elements. connecter from main harness to taillight harness has broken/corroded terminals. wire harness pinched when some idiot put trailer hitch on. and ground wire on passenger side broke off the terminal to body.
    I am redoing the whole taillight harness.I have no reverse lights and no running/turn lights on passenger side.

3. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

I recently had some hassles with my taillights/blinkers, etc. I strongly suggest that you make sure you have good grounds. I did and my problem was solved.

4. milspecjimmy

milspecjimmy 1/2 ton status

lay under the truck and look up under the DRIVERS side and look for a connector, it is a harness that splits off from the drivers tail light to the passengers side, if it gets disconnected none of those lights will work, and if you have one of those plug in trailer harness things, its probably that. mine just did almost the same thing and it was the trailer plug. i lost brake lights and blinkers on that side, unplugged that trailer thing and it worked fine

5. Phreak480

Phreak480 Registered Member

also check the wiring up on the side of the column i had a loose wire and it caused my right tailiight not work at all

6. afroman006

Cool thx guys I'll try all that. My burb has an aftermarket trailer light receiver, the big fat one with the center hole and 4 or 5 tabs around it. That's probably it. Thx

7. 89K1500Chevy

89K1500Chevy 1/2 ton status

If its newer body style like 88-up id bet its the whole light bar.. its got 3 places for the 3 bulbs.. Ive had to replace mine a few times its like 20 bucks but i found out discount doesnt carry it anymore.. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif www.zombieoffroading.8m.net

8. afroman006

Nah the burb's the old body style. I got under and looked at it and thers a plug connection on top of the gas tank that I guess ratled loose. I stuck it back together and wrapped it in duck tape so it wont come apart again and they work now. Thx for the help