Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Passenger side tie rod end won't budge!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by PetaKane, Nov 17, 2002.

1. PetaKane

PetaKane 1/2 ton status

Passenger side tie rod end won\'t budge!

The drivers side bolt popped off with a couple wacks, is the passengers side any different? Is it somehow threaded on there?

2. 74Chev

74Chev 1/2 ton status

Re: Passenger side tie rod end won\'t budge!

It's not threaded in. You can use a pickle fork to remove it but it will probably ruin the grease boot. But it will get it serarated. Try smacking the side of the eye on the steering knuckle with a small sledge. This will casue the eye to momentarily distort freeing the tie rod. Another thing to try is have a buddy hold the head of a sledge sideways on the eye and whack the side of that sledge with a heavier sledge. Good luck.

3. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

I'm kinda confused? Are you talking about the castle nut? Those are the same - just apply massive amounts of torque with a long breaker bar. Then they should unscrew.

Or, are you talking about the "bolt" itself - the part of the tie-rod that goes through the knuckle. If so, no...it's not threaded. It's what's called a taper fit. That's what gives everybody problems with the steering arms. If you have a pickle-fork/tie-rod separator, try that. Otherwise, take a 3lb hammer and hit right on the knuckle. It's kind of hard to describe, but just hit the knucke square-on, right where the tie-rod goes in. This - after repeating many times - will bust up the rust-death-grip, and the end will fall out for you. Worked for me. Combination of hiting down on tie-rod then on knuckle then on tie-rod, etc. is good too.

4. PetaKane

PetaKane 1/2 ton status

Okay thanks. I've got no use for this tie-rod I'm just trying to get it off so I can install the Rock Rod. Castle nuts weren't a problem, just the bolt holding the pass side on. I'll keep on bangin it though. Thanks

5. K5DRAGER

K5DRAGER 1/2 ton status

Glad to hear you recieved ok /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Good luck with getting out the old one, they can be a pain in the a$$ sometimes.

6. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

I got a pickle fork if you need it still. Give me a hollar, I'll be working on my truck Today.

John