Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Password problems. (not here)

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by BamBamblazer, Feb 8, 2004.

1. BamBamblazer

BamBamblazer 1/2 ton status

Ok so today i was gunna do my taxes online so i go to turbotax. Same b.s as everyone must create an account, blah, blah, blah! So it tells me to pick a user name and i do then it tells me to pick a password, then it tells me to re-enter the password. So i do all this then it tells me that the password i picked was too easy for someone to figure out and it wont let me use it! /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif Now dont get me wrong i dont want anyone getting my info but dont tell me i have to pick a different password just because some computer decided it was too easy! That is why i made it easy, so I could remember it! Just thought that was l little funny that it wouldnt let me use a password because they felt it was too easy to figure out.

2. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

yeah usually whole words it wont let you use

When I worked at cat we had one password then each month the server made us change the password so we would add two digits to the end.... so Jan was word01 (zero-one), Feb zero-two.... etc /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Goober

Goober 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    the password i picked was too easy for someone to figure out and it wont let me use it!

[/ QUOTE ]

So what you are saying is that if you were smoking a cigar while putting gas in your truck, you don't want someone telling you to stop? /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    but dont tell me i have to pick a different password just because some computer decided it was too easy!

[/ QUOTE ]

The computer didn't decide anything. Someone made a decision to only allow passwords that meet a certain criteria on that system and programmed the computer to check (by trying to crack) the passwords users want to use. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Believe it or not, it actually IS for your protection. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Passwords exist to make it difficult for others to access certain information but simple for you. Cracking passwords is SIMPLE if your password is a word that can be found in a dictionary. But having a good password doesn't mean it has to be hard to remember.

The simplest (and fastest) way to crack a password is using what's called a "Dictionary" crack. This involves trying every word in a dictionary (actually it's just a list of words that could be names of sports teams, famouse race horses, street names or all the words in your favorite dictionary) and seing if it works. This is a very high speed crack since many, many words can be tested every second. Dictionary cracks are successful about 65%-75% of the time which makes them the most popular. A password like chevrolet would be very simple to crack while a password like ChvyTrk would probably not be cracked using a dictionary crack. A dictionary crack may or may not include upper case letters.

The other end of the scale would be what's called a "Brute Force" crack. This is done by simple starting with the letter "a" and trying it as a password. If that fails try "b", then "c", then "d" and so on and so on. If you include all of the characters on a keyboard, a brute force attack will be sucessful 99% of the time (I didn't say 100% of the time since there are some characters that can be used that are considered not crackable, but I'll save that for another time /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif). The only problem with a brute force crack is that if you include all the characters on your keyboard then it could take days, weeks, years or thousands of years for a high speed computer to try every combination depending on how many characters you decide to include in your crack. The password aaa would be cracked pretty quickly while the password Zyrj$6BgKqYf5% would take thousands (or more) years using the fastest computers in the world.

A "Hybrid" crack is a combination of both. This type of crack will try all of the things in a dictionary crack but will also try common letter substitutions. For example: Hillbilly and H!llb!lly where th "!" replaces the "i" or, Chevrolet and Chevr0let where the "0" (zero) replaces the o. Hybrid cracks can also include common abbrieviations but the more types of things to check, the longer it will take.

So, what's the best password? One that you can remember /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif and one that is hard to guess.

If you want a good password make sure it is at least 7 characters (the more the better), use upper and lower case letters and use a few numbers and other characters.

Here are some examples:

CuL8trD00d (see you later dude)
    fR!edCh1kn (Fried Chicken)
    IluV5h33P (I love sheep) /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif
    Bl@zr5R0k! (Blazers Rock!)

[ QUOTE ]
    Just thought that was l little funny that it wouldnt let me use a password because they felt it was too easy to figure out.

[/ QUOTE ]

It wasn't because they "thought" it would be easy to guess. They wouldn't let you use the password you picked because they DID guess it in only a few seconds /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif /forums/images/graemlins/doah.gif and didn't want to risk having you try to sue them if someone accessed your records on their site.

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif