Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

PATCH PANEL SHOPING LIST!

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Quetzal_SJ, Feb 28, 2002.

1. Quetzal_SJ

Quetzal_SJ 1/2 ton status

Well I am going to have all the cancer taken care of next monthf and need help with my shopping list. I I need new rocker panels, floors, maybe front and rear body supports. The rocker boxes are solid. Is there anything else I should get. I don't want to have my truck down any longer then she needs to be. So I want all surprizes covered now if possible. I might have him repair the doors also insted of replacing them any one ever have this done where they replace the lower inner and out doors with patch panels? He is going to strip her down to bare metal to see what we find so if ther is an area that one of you have commonly found needing repair please share. We are also going to install a body lift with new bushing. Boy am I excited! maybe even hose it down with some camo paint. Well any input will be great please tell me about all your expiernces.

-rocker
    -floor
    -body suport
    -lower kick panel
    -?

Thanks Lico

2. JTB

JTB 1/2 ton status

I am fixing almost exactly the same common rust spots you are talking about right now. Another area to check for rust is the lower A-pillar (below the lower door hinge). The front cab supports bolt on there and mine were completely rusted through. I saw the damage after pulling off my front fender. Rust in that aea might also be concealed by the rocker boxes, in fact im pretty sure it is. I had to cut my boxes out so Im not 100% positive. I am going to try to do the inner and outer lower door myself but not using the whole patch panel. I won't get to that for awhile though. You might also need the inner rockers. The front section of the inner rocker will be part of the floor patch piece you get, but you may need the rear section too. You probably cant tell unless you cut your rocker boxes out or pull off the outer rockers. Other than that, I think you should have all you need. Good Luck,
    Jeff

sold my girlfriend and bought a blazer

3. JungleBoy

JungleBoy 1/2 ton status

I know GM rockers (inner and outer) are available. I would get domestic studff when you can. The cab supports will be visible when you take the floors out, and you should be able to work from above without cutting the rocker boxes out. If tehhe rocker boxes are sound, just blast and paint. You will want to preserve these to prevent body flexing. If you want to talk to the guy who has done all the floor and patch panel replacement for me, for info, let me know and I'll get you in touch.
    JB

4. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Lico,

Sounds like you're getting "SERIOUS" about that Jimmy!!!! I'm glad to see it..... maybe you'll be joining us at BlazerFest in June. [​IMG]

-Greg72

'72 K5 Blazer - 427BB/TH350/NP205/6" Lift/35x12.50's
    <font color=blue>See it here: </font color=blue><a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun38>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun38</a>

5. Quetzal_SJ

Quetzal_SJ 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the info. I didn't know that the cab suports can be replaced with out removing the rocker boxes. I am pretty sure that the rocker boxes can only be cut out and wanna avoid that if possible. I would like to buy every thing now in the hopes that I don't need it and if not that I will be able to return whats left over to them.I don't want the guy to start cutting and we find somthing and need to wait a week or two to get the part in the mail.

Hey greg I am going to have to squeez some time in and stop by. I see that you have some new eye candy. As for blazer fest I will see when that time comes. It falls right on the end of my quarterly at work and they expect overtime. However we usually make the numbers ahead of scheduel.Greg I wanted to ask what medi are you useing for that blasting I am guessing sand?

Jungleboy I don't think I will need to talk to your body guy.Thanks. I am not doiing the repairs my self and if thie guy who is doing it for my does not know what he is doing I am in big trouble.

Thanks Folks