Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

patch panels??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by rwright07, Jul 13, 2006.

1. rwright07

rwright07 1/2 ton status

the rocker and panel inside the door that holds the striker in placer are rusted enough that on the driver side after an impact on the striker it cracked the metal and the striker is beginning to pull through.... a good friend who owns an auto shop said i ought to find some patch panels and take them to a body shop and have them use a nibler and then tack weld and then weld them up and primer them.... is this the best route???
    where could i get patch panels??

thanks,
    rick

2. k5lover

k5lover Registered Member

I had the same problem. As a temporary fix, I just got two square plates of galvanized steel and drilled a hole for the striker in the middle. I sandwiched the the striker bolt and washers between the plates and bolted them together and to the panel. It is really tight and does not give. Any hardware store carries galvanized and It cost me about 5 bucks. This is not a perfect solution, but it is solid, cheap, and quick.

striker.jpg

Last edited: Jul 16, 2006
  3. chalet2506

chalet2506 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I've got that problem, except that my striker came completely out. I've been trying to figure out how to fix it cheap. Thanks for the pic.