Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Patching a BIG hole in a tire

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Shaggy, Jul 3, 2002.

1. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> OK, so I'm pretty sure I already know the answer to this, but I have to ask anyways. I have a 38" radial Swamper that has a big slash in the sidewall from some crap in a mudhole in Hollister. the cut is about 5" long. I don't think that it's possible, but I want to find out if there is ANY way that I could get this to hold enough air to act as a trail spare. I know that it will never be safe to use on the street again, but the thing is practically new and if I could figure out a way to make it a servicable trail spare then that would be cool. I was thinking that I could maybe stitch the hole up with something then boot the inside with a big honkin patch. Any ideas, or should I just forget it and toss the thing in the dumster? Here is a pic of the hole in the tire. </font color>

2. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Damn that's a bigass hole!
    [​IMG]
    I guess you could sew up the wound and then find a big inner tube to put inside.....

3. 1979Jimmy

1979Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I saw something once about trail fixes and it said that in a pinch you could sew a tire shut and put alot of duct tape all over it to hold air so i guess if you patched as best you could i bet you could use it as a trail spare. Ive never tried it though.

4. trailblazer87

trailblazer87 1/2 ton status

I heard about shoegooing a shoe sole inside the tire. I've personally as an emergency fix, cut a quad tire and siliconed it as a patch for my regular tire, it got me off the trail and to where we could get a trailer

5. ratpack7

ratpack7 Guest

Back in the old days my grandfather used to put a tube in a blown tubless tire to use it as a spare.
    I dont know if you can even find tubes any more but it might be an idea. patch it from the insde the best you can
    and see if you can come up with a tube that will fit. There might be a farm equipment application that uses that size of tube.
    Just an Idea.

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I've seen pics of a Swamper that had a sidewall hole repaired using a heat vulcanizing patching process. They actually melt the rubber back together. It leaves an ugly scar on the sidewall, but it works. Check with a place that repairs farm tractor tires. They sometimes have the machine to do this. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

7. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Cool, thanks Harry. Now all I need to do is find a place that repairs tractor tires. Probably won't be easy in the Silicon Valley /forums/images/icons/wink.gif ... </font color>

8. captain chaos

captain chaos 1/2 ton status

if you can find a farm imploment tire dealer they should be able to put a big honking patch in it. they do it all the time around here. but like you said i would only use it for a spare.
    good luck.

dave

9. HarryH3

Head down towards Gilroy. I'll bet there's a place down there that knows about tractor tires. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

10. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Actually got to thinking that there should be tons of places out in the central valley, my brother lives out there anyways so next time I go out I'll throw the tire in the back of my wife's Subaru and see if I can find a place to fix it. Thanks again guys! </font color>

11. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Well shaggs, you can come on over to my house and theres about 200 shops around here /forums/images/icons/grin.gif. Bakersfield is an farming town.

12. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Hey Willis, yeah, I'll just pop over tomorrow afternoon and we'll take care of that /forums/images/icons/wink.gif. It's only like what, 300 miles or so? /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif </font color>

13. willyswanter

Well, thought I would offer /forums/images/icons/smile.gif. Anyway, the place I was at today that was fixing my trailer brakes was repairing some semi-truck tires. They used a rubber pad on the backside that was heated with an iron which glued itself to the tire. Then on the outside they used melted rubber to fill the gap and then smoothed it. And that truck was going right back out on the road so I'm sure it would work for a spare.

Alot like this:

http://www.patchrubber.com/tire_repair/12117-pass.html

14. Mike.S

Mike.S Registered Member

Willyswanter and Shaggy, did you guys get kicked out of off-road or just get borred there ? I've just recently started going back to off-road but under the name Teri for my wifes sake. Its good to see yall. Later. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

15. willyswanter

Ohhhh so thats who Teri is:). Personally, I like the SFA board there but I'm getting pretty sick of the IFS board there. 1/2 the people drive me nuts.

16. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

DANG!! Now that's a gash!! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif I have never even seen tires with gashes this big, fixed. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

How about the warranty on the tire? Did you get it and does the tire still look new?

17. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Mike - There's just more people here and the knowledge is more technical. I ask stuff here that I wouldn't ask at ORC and learn stuff from lurking that I've never come across over there in 3+ years. It's hard to start from the beginning over here though, and it appears that I have somehow managed to acheive permanent "Pavement Pounder" status. Not that it matters I guess. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

I still go to ORC, we got them to make an SFA board a while ago but it's pretty slow, like 1 post there for every 20 here. Most of the die hards go to the SFA board but now there are alot of guys on the IFS board that mainly just want their truck to look pretty, although some of them still use their trucks off road. Good to see you're still around.

Wes - the tire is probably about 4 years old, still has 85-90% tread on it though. I got it at 4WPW and they wouldn't cover it because the cut was not in the tread area. /forums/images/icons/mad.gif </font color>

18. 1979Jimmy

1979Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I think that there was somwone else on the board who had like 2000 posts and was still a pavement pounder.

19. Mike.S

Mike.S Registered Member

Shaggy, how about those brake lines? Is it a complete set up or what ? Would my brake lines fit into the 44 and 14 or do they have differant fittings ? I'm shottin in the dark when it comes to brake line so I'm not sure what to ask. My truck still has factory lines on now and I have a 2" lift, no problems thou so I guess the question is, do the lines you have fit to a 44 and 14b ? Are they extra long to compinsate for lift and articulation ? And the last question, Would my factory lines work ? Help me out here, I feel stupid and I'm sure I look stupid too !!! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif /forums/images/icons/confused.gif /forums/images/icons/blush.gif

20. HarryH3

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I got it at 4WPW and they wouldn't cover it because the cut was not in the tread area.

[/ QUOTE ]
    That sucks. /forums/images/icons/mad.gif If you buy the road hazard warranty at Discount Tire, they'll replace it no matter how it got damaged. I took in a BFG All Terrain that had about 3,000 miles on it, with just a chunk torn out of the sidewall. It still held air, but I stopped in to ask them if it was safe to drive on. They replaced it with a new tire. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif I took in another tire with a gash through the sidewall from a nasty rock on old Tincup Pass in Colorado. They replaced it with a new tire. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

Hmmm, I was kinda looking at 4WPW's Pro-Comp tires, but if that's how they deal with customers, I'll just go see what Discount Tire can get for me! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif