Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Patching a hole in the Sidewall?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Sandman, Dec 10, 2002.

1. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Poked a hole in the side wall on one of my 40" Boggers. Its small and I have heard of people patching these. Anybody know where where I can come up with one? The local tire store said no way for the liability. Disclaimer: Mud and sand only tire, no street use at all so please do not be concerned. Thanks.

2. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

for something like that i would prefer a hot patch, vulcanize a boot over the hole, and if the store won't do it, you might have to buy the stuff yourself, and/or you could try a tube in it

3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

the problem with this is that when you air down it will flex the patch and after a few times could work it loose /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

4. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Did it happen on or off road? I'd just go to another branch of that store and tell them you ran over something in the road...just think up something creative...rebar, ladder, etc. have fun with it /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    just think up something creative

[/ QUOTE ]
    ...ladder, rebar, human carcus, cactus....

No, actually I put a nice cut in the sidewall of one of my tires about 3" longs and got it warranteed saying hit something in custruction and the front tire has a small cut in it too but not all the way through so it may go later on too. They gave me a new tire for $40 and let me keep the old one. Need to find a 16" rim for a spare now. I actually cut the tire off roading and I think there was a old rusted peice of metal I ran over.

6. Sandman

The Les Shwab wont warrenty tires of this size and kind. They are upfront about it though..

7. Sandman

I might try a tube. There is lots of good tread on this thing and I would hate to trash it. Now if I can find a place that will do a tube.....

8. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Maybe put a patch and a tube for extra durability. On my other tire that has a small cut but not all the way through I put some silicone RTV into the cut to help hold it together. Dunno if it will really help but figured it was worth a shot.

9. Thumper

Thumper 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Les Shwab wont warrenty tires of this size and kind.

[/ QUOTE ]

Whats with that? Its not up to them whether or not they warranty the tires, it comes from the manufacturer. The tire shop here will warranty anything as long as its a 'road hazard' that pretty much covers anything you can cut a tire with. They just dont want to hear that it was off-road... so dont tell them. They just pro rate the tire... they give you back whatever percentage of tread is not used on the tire as a dollar value towards a new one. They are happy, they get the same deal from the manufacturer, and sell another tire. Anywhere Ive been, its the tire maker that states the warranty, not the shop. Be sure to ask the shop the proper question!

Mike

10. Sandman

Not here they dont. I tried those same arguments and they were not interested. They flat out tell you that they will not warrenty those tires period, end of story. I now buy my tires somewhere else for that reason.

11. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Discount Tire sells a "no questions asked" road hazard warranty. It costs extra, typically around 10% of the price of the tire. But if you tear up a tire beyond repair, they'll give you a new one, as long as the tire isn't worn down to the tread wear indicators. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif They don't care what you were doing or where you were driving when it happened.

But if you do the math, I'm sure that they make out on the deal in the long run. Buying the warranty for 4 tires would pay for 40% of a new tire. Plus, when you bring one in for warranty, you have to buy a new warranty for the new tire. So you've really ended up paying for 50% of the tire anyway. (But if ya waste more than 1 of a set, then you're getting ahead of the game!) /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

12. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

BTW, check with a truck stop about repairing the sidewall. I've seen a Swamper with a hot vulcanized sidewall fix before. It leaves the sidewall looking pretty ugly, but it worked. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

13. 4x4Freak

4x4Freak 1/2 ton status

Discount has been pretty good about warranting tires for us so far. A couple years ago we were hunting at night in my dad's jeep and the phone rang. When I reached for it I got off the road a little and tore the sidewall open on a mesquite root. We just told them we ran over a busted up curb and they gave us a new tire. This summer my brother backed it off of a car lift and cut the sidewall on some angle iron on the lift and we got another new tire for it.

14. Sandman

Is that Discount Tire mail order or is it a shop? Thsnks.

15. Sandman

I'll look into it. The cut is actually on the inside so if its ugly, It'll be hidden.

16. fourwheelerjeff

discount tire is mainly a chain in the southwest, they do have a website, and have told me they will price match the prices in the magazines /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

www.tires.com

17. Sandman

Thanks! Looks like they will ship to your door. I'll keep them in mind. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. fourwheelerjeff

i noticed they didn't have swampers at the website, but the store i talked to, told they could get them and price match, i was looking at 39.5 swampers, i struck up a conversation because there was a burb outside on 36" swampers that was the salesman's, this was in amarillo texas

might have to call and order those since they were not on the website