Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pathetic

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by tRustyK5, Apr 10, 2005.

1. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

We've had this 88 Jeep XJ for about 5 years now. 4.0, auto, 3.55's and 235/75's on it. I've always felt it was not great on fuel but didn't put a number to it until today.

Last week I filled it, stuffed full and zero'd the trip odometer. Went back to the same station, same pump and stuffed it again. In the last week we had driven 208 miles...it took 15.04 US gallons (56.88 litres)

13.83 mpg...

This is mixed driving, 60% in town with light/medium traffic and 40% freeway (cruise at 65 mph)

This is the same mileage my Jimmy got with the 350, SM 465, 3.73's and 35's. The difference is the Jeep have 1.7 litres less motor, electronic fuel injection, overdrive and weighs 1500 lbs less than my Jimmy.

The Jeep has no codes, runs fine, passes emissions test (2 weeks ago) with flying colors...

Rene

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

time to lose it I'd say

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Maybe your odometer is wrong? I would think that thing should be in the 17 hood.

4. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Hmmmmmmmmm........... I went from Castlegar, BC, to Calgary, AB on $26 of regular today.

I guess it would be mean to tell you that I got over 700 kms on my last $33 fill.:D

5. tRustyK5

Nope, odometer and speedo is right on the money...I've checked it many times.

The ironic part is my Jimmy get's 2 to 2.5 mpg better fuel economy in the same driving conditions and it's on 39.5" TSL's and weighs nearly twice as much. :crazy:

Even more ironic is that i've been humming and hawing about getting my wife the Durango she wants...because "they're kinda hard on gas honey". :doah: :haha:

Rene

6. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Hand calculating the gas mileage sometimes is a wake up call, eh Rene? We just traded my wife's '01 GMC Safari van in on a Honda CRV.................we were averaging 12.8 mpg. The Durango, by the way, will get WORSE than the Jeep. My neighbor has one, hand calculated it at 11 around town and claims to drive it mellow. Wonder if those Jeep diesels are available yet?

7. tRustyK5

They do sell the TD Liberty's here. Problem is a) it's a Jeep and b) it's a Liberty.

I think dodge should smarten up and offer a mildly bombed 4BT in the Durango.

Rene

8. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

You should definately be getting better mileage than that. But I lost all faith in XJs when I broke my front driveshaft on the side of the road on Saturday, so burn the ****er!!!! :rotfl:

Edit: Fa wk is censored?! Fa wk?! CHEAP

9. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Don't feel bad, my '88 XJ gets about the same figures as yours. It can go up to 22 on the highway though, but in town it stays around 13-14. Mine's even a stick.

10. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I'm seeing a SBC conversion in the future, LOL.

11. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

the 4.0's don't like auto's for some reason. every one i have seen or ridden in sounds like it's screaming to move and burning gas up at the same time. kinda similar to the s-series blazers....

12. clstolten

clstolten 1/2 ton status

My wifes 97 cherokee averages 19mpg. Has 4.0L and auto with 160K miles. It gets slightly better than 20 on highway trips.

13. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

we dont need no water let the mother****er burn
    burn mother****er

burn!!!!!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

oh and dont forget the pics

14. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

It's a Jeep thing! ;)

My bro's '00 TJ is getting about the same milage and it is a 4.0 w/auto. My friend just bought an '02 TJ with a 5spd and it is around the same mpg also....