Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pattern for Custom Rear Bumper Mount Brackets - Who Needs One??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 1986Blazer, Apr 23, 2002.

1. 1986Blazer

1986Blazer 1/2 ton status

I just completed the Custom Bumper Brackets for my rear bumper. Does anyone need a copy of the pattern? I can create a few out of 1/8" steel. I used the same pattern and then layed it on top of the 1/2" steel I am making the brackets out of. The pattern is TIGHT and nearly perfect. The bolts match up excellently. I have made the bracket to fit the three bolts that are part of the factory mount and the two bolts that are part of the bracket that is angled off the frame. I will post pics tomorrow. I should have the bumper all finished tomorrow. I have the brackets on the K5 now and will use a floor jack to position the bumper in place. Once I have it level and in the correct position, I will tack it to the brackets. Then I'll take it off and cart it to the welding booth so I can use the arc welder to get it together with the best welding rods I could find. I am using 6011 rods to get good initial penetration on both sides of the brackets then I an going to use 7018 rods for extra fill and strength. I have gotten quite good with the arc and mig welders so I hope all goes well. I have yet to figure out how to latch the tire carrier to the damn thing but that is going to be the last step. I have two early designs but I do not know if they will work. So... let me know about the templates.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/keywestk5/Bumper.html>http://www.geocities.com/keywestk5/Bumper.html</a>

2. Mudstud

Mudstud 1/2 ton status

Keep in mind the spare may cover the tail light. That bumper looks killer.

3. 88K5Jimmy

88K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I might be interested. In your design, did you keep the tailgate spring incorporated with your brackets (The curved hook thing that wraps around one of the bolts)?

Thanks
    Ross

4. CV202

CV202 1/2 ton status

Sweet! Looks alot like the bumpers that Ranch Hand makes, only they don't make for our truck (despite begging and pleading). You thinking about making a few of them?? I know I'd be interested in one.....