Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Paul Harvey writes...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by muddin4fun, Jan 16, 2002.

1. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

We tried so hard to make things better for our kids that we made them worse. For my grandchildren, I'd like better.

I'd really like for them to know about hand me down clothes and homemade ice cream and leftover meat loaf sandwiches. I really would.

I hope you learn humility by being humiliated, and that you learn honesty by being cheated.

I hope you learn to make your own bed and mow the lawn and wash the car.

And I really hope nobody gives you a brand new car when you are sixteen.

It will be good if at least one time you can see puppies born and your old dog put to sleep.

I hope you get a black eye fighting for something you believe in.

I hope you have to share a bedroom with your younger brother/sister. And it's all right if you have to draw a line down the middle of the room,but when he wants to crawl under the covers with you because he's scared, I hope you let him.

When you want to see a movie and your little brother/sister wants to tag along, I hope you'll let him/her.

I hope you have to walk uphill to school with your friends and that you live in a town where you can do it safely.

On rainy days when you have to catch a ride, I hope you don't ask your driver to drop you two blocks away so you won't be seen riding with someone as uncoil as your Mom.

If you want a slingshot, I hope your Dad teaches you how to make one instead of buying one.

I hope you learn to dig in the dirt and read books.

When you learn to use computers, I hope you also learn to add and subtract in your head.

I hope you get teased by your friends when you have your first crush on a boy\girl, and when you talk back to your mother that you learn what ivory soap tastes like.

May you skin your knee climbing a mountain, burn your hand on a stove and stick your tongue on a frozen flagpole.

I don't care if you try a beer once, but I hope you don't like it. And if a friend offers you dope or a joint, I hope you realize he is not your friend.

I sure hope you make time to sit on a porch with your Grandma/Grandpa and go fishing with your Uncle.

May you feel sorrow at a funeral and joy during the holidays.

I hope your mother punishes you when you throw a baseball through your neighbor's window and that she hugs you and kisses you at Hanukah/Christmas time when you give her a plaster mold of your hand.

These things I wish for you - tough times and disappointment, hard work and happiness. To me, it's the only way to appreciate life.

So, my question is, why is the whole "wrap your kids in a bubble" thing still popular when so many realize it's a mistake??? <----In my opinion
    (discuss)
    I think it's why kids today don't have a concept of reality.

<font color=blue>Answers: $1, Short: $5, Correct: $25, dumb looks are still free.</font color=blue>

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.bluefox.tv/~lara>My Wonderful Site</a>

2. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Edit:

Contents of post deleted! I misunderstood the question! I feel pretty dumb now!

Ratch
    CK5 album
    Prior signature burnt. This one on temporarily.<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by newyorkin on 01/16/02 11:36 AM.</FONT></P>

3. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

I'm talking about older kids though. Like teenagers...
    They are about to become adults. I think they should learn what hardship is cause it's very probable that they will encounter it.
    I just get sick of people who raise their kids in a way that makes them think life is always bubbly and happy and someone will always be there to take responsibility for your actions...like blaming tv or guns etc

<font color=blue>Answers: $1, Short: $5, Correct: $25, dumb looks are still free.</font color=blue>

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.bluefox.tv/~lara>My Wonderful Site</a>

4. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

OOps!! I agree with you on that! Sorry for gettin' all philosphical and crap!

Ratch
    CK5 album
    Prior signature burnt. This one on temporarily.

5. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

It's easier to wrap kids up for most people and plunk them in front of the tv then to actually do this stuff.... it's due to a generally lazy socity. Nobody can tell me any different (I see it daily at work)... because if you compare kids who do for themselves with parents guidence to kids who sit around and have mommy and daddy do it all with no limits it's night and day....

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>Steph's Webpage</a>
    Suck Fumes Ford Boy
    Stop Global Whining
    I'm in shape.... round is a shape......

6. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I give ya a Hell Ya!

How can a child develop into an adult without goign through hardships and learning through error? A person that doesn't have to go through those things will probably come out a spoiled brat that sits there and wants everythign handed to them and then when it happes they wont appreciate wat he/she has!
    Plus everyone wants to censor the hell out of everythign a child sees so not to cause them hardship or unwanted trauma!

I grew up in a diviorced family. My parent divorced when I was 7 and I went back and forth for a while an dhten stayed with my Mom. She had some rules for my brother and I but was not strict... We had a cerfew to up until about he age of 14-15 then it was up'd to about 11pm..... She worked part-time untilshe went to fulltime about 6 years ago. My Fatjer didn't help out much so she pretty much raised the three of us on that...She didn't mind much what we watched on TV or if we stayed at friends.... I had a pretty unrestricted childhood and did quite a bit, but yet didn't get in trouble much! She trusted me and I knew the difference between right and wrong becuase of the way I was raised!

A child needs to be out and make mistake and not sheltered by their parents!!!!

Mike

Emmett says: "<font color=green>It ain't easy being Green!</font color=green>

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/emmettology101>EMMETT</a>

7. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

Emmett... I absolutely LOVE the Yoda

well you can shield your kids while you are at home... but guess what you can't shield them in the real world. why parents want children to go through all that when they not at home so they can't help / advise them is beyond me...

<font color=blue> Jeff - may the force be with you</font color=blue>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Jeffs-Stuff>link to k5's</a>

8. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

I got that in a chain email awhile back, and liked it so much I printed it out for my kids to see when they are older.

Good job posting this...........[​IMG]

<font color=blue>'79 ONE TON TPI K5 - See it at---&gt;<a target="_blank" href=http://www.blazzinor.rockcrawler.com/>BlazzinOR's Beast Buildup</a>

9. fourwheelerjeff

fourwheelerjeff 1/2 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I agree a lot of parents "plunk" their kids down in front of the tv to be the parent or sitter, I am a single father of two girls (11 and 9) and we just got tv about 18 months ago, we lived where we couldn't pick anything up and it has really paid off, my oldest loves to read (as do I and my youngest) and has won the accelerated reading contest 2 years in a row at school, too many parents let their kids run wild then wonder why they won't mind, then try to buy their love by getting them all the new toys and latest designer clothes, not me, I try to earn their love and respect by reciprocating to them, and if I can brag a little bit, it must work, because when we have the parent-teacher conferences for report cards, their teachers tell me what a wonderful job I am doing as a single father and they can't believe they are so well adjusted, I am really proud of them!!! My only worry is they will grow up and think it is normal to have a fleet of vehicles LOL, but if that is what makes them happy, I am all for it!

Fort Worth Texas K5er[​IMG]It is always easier to ask for forgiveness than permission[​IMG]