Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

PAUL NEEDS HELP!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Can Can, May 5, 2002.

1. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Hi guys! This is Paul's wife Kim. He in the middle of a truck repair and needs help. He's putting on a new steering stabilizer and he can't get the sleeved rod out of the tie rod end on the old one. PLEASE HELP, He's waiting for a call from me. Thanks in advance!

2. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Heat it if possible and whack it hard!!!!!

3. GRINCH

GRINCH 1/2 ton status

Soak it good with PB Blaster and put the nut back on and use a BFH.. My took some time to get out, but I prevailed.

4. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Carefully smack the tie-rod with a hammer, right where the taperd end goes into the tie-rod, a blow 90 degrees to the bolt. With a hard enough impact, it should un-seat and sleaved bolt should be easily removed.

Try holding the tie-rod or support it some-how, to help keep the strain off of the tie-rod.

5. Can Can

Thanks for you help guys. That's what he thought, but thought there might be another trick. He said he will fill you in later.

6. Can Can

Thanks, brothers/forums/images/icons/smile.gif!!!! I can't believe how hard that sucker was wedged into the tie-rod end/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif........I ended up using a tiger torch to heat the tie rod end up and after a couple of solid whacks the bolt popped out, easy as pie.

I called Kim and walked her through the posting process and, as expected, the brotherhood came through!!! Thanks again, guys. Nothing like having a remote connection to CK5 when you need it, eh?/forums/images/icons/wink.gif

7. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

The adjuster sleeve is only $7 or so bucks (US).