Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Paul's in the middle of a repair and has a quick question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Can Can, Jan 6, 2004.

1. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Paul\'s in the middle of a repair and has a quick question

Hi Guys this is Kim,
    Paul's down at the shop trying to locate a coolant leak on the 6.2. He thinks it might be coming from the glow plug controller but there's the whole top back end of the block is damp on the drivers side. He's curious if a head gasket can leak outwardly. He's impatiently waiting for your responses guys (and therefore bugging me!!). Thanks!

2. chevystepside

chevystepside 1/2 ton status

Re: Paul\'s in the middle of a repair and has a quick question

could it be the manifold leaking

3. skratch

skratch 1/2 ton status

It wasn't really common, but I did have that problem on some of the Hummers and CUCV's in my Unit.

And it was usually at the back of the engine too.
    So I guess it is a possibility.

4. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

It could happen. I would also look for a bad freeze plug or check and see if a threded plug came out. Also check the intake for leaks.
    Other wise Paulie could get some school girls to fix it for Him /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

5. Can Can

I'm just waiting for him to call back - hopefully there will be some more replies.

Corey - School girls think he's too old - they won't help him /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

6. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

I dont know but Kim your awesome. theres no way my wife would do that for me. she'd tell me to come do it myself. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

edit:

my wife is a very wonderful woman, and i love her very much. she does everything else for m so i guess i can let this slide. the good part of her remembering everything i say is she knows my blazer specs better than i do. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

69k5
    nathan

7. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

You don't get it Nathan.
    Paulie told Me once that when He gives an order to Kim she is to do it right then and there no questions asked. I thought He was a bit harsh but Paulie says thats the only way to keep a woman in line /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

8. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Corey, the 6.2 intake does not have any coolant ports, nor does it block any coolant ports. The motor will run without the intake and not leak coolant. If it isn't the gasket under the glow plug controller, I'd have to guess head gasket. The only thing about that is the leak would be lower on the motor than what Paulie is/was describing.

Rene

9. chevystepside

chevystepside 1/2 ton status

check the intake manifold and yes the headgasket can leak outwardly. pressure up the cooling system and/or add dye to the cooling system if you have a uv light set.

10. tRustyK5

[ QUOTE ]
    You don't get it Nathan.
    Paulie told Me once that when He gives an order to Kim she is to do it right then and there no questions asked. I thought He was a bit harsh but Paulie says thats the only way to keep a woman in line /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, you are truly evil...and brilliant! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Rene

11. tRustyK5

For visual reference:

coolant crossover tube in front on intake on a 6.2. Has the same ports on the heads at the back, one of which is blocked off with the glow plug controller. If you know where to look you can see the GP controller in this pic.

[​IMG]

Intake pic...no coolant passages, no parts that block off coolant passages.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

If there wasn't a need for filtered air you wouldn't need intake gaskets at all on a 6.2...or even an intake manifold.

Rene

12. Can Can

Oh now you're home Rene - we tried calling you. I think Paul's on his way home so I'm sure you'll all hear from him.

[ QUOTE ]
    You don't get it Nathan.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, umm hmmm. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

13. 69K5

69K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    You don't get it Nathan.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL, you are truly evil...and brilliant! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Rene

[/ QUOTE ]

corey and trusty

after 4 years i doubt it will change. itll probably get worse. maybe i should go buy some of those wife beater t-shirts. but what did i expect marrying a woman from backwoods louisiana. wait thats where im from too. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

14. tRustyK5

I was having dinner at the neighbors house.../forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif i'd normally be working tonight but all the rest of the wimps on my shift didn't want to brave the weather /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif I don't have keys to the shop and aren't allowed to work alone anyways so I got an involuntary night off. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

Rene

15. Can Can

Good enough excuse I guess Rene.

You guys are all a little nuts aren't you? I guess that's why Paul fits in /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

See ya'll.

16. Can Can

Okay, I'm back. Nice of you fawkers to chit-chat with my wife while I'm jammed into an engine bay trying to fix something I don't understand..... /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Anyhow, after taking a couple of different brackets off I was able to remove the GP controller and found that there is a cheapy gasket very similar to a thermostat gasket between the controller body and the block. It didn't look like it had been breached but the hold down bolts were a little loose when I took the controller off. If the leak doesn't disappear I'm gonna get me a new gasket and replace it and see if that fixes it.

Thanks for all the help lads!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Hopefully some bluebies will read this post and realize that the cost of a membership is well worth it. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Oh........Corey, I'm gonna kick you right in the nuts whenever I get a chance to meet you!!!! I know from experience that 220 lbs hits the ground awful hard!!! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

17. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Oh........Corey, I'm gonna kick you right in the nuts whenever I get a chance to meet you!!!! I know from experience that 220 lbs hits the ground awful hard!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

18. thefarside

thefarside 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    Oh........Corey, I'm gonna kick you right in the nuts whenever I get a chance to meet you!!!! I know from experience that 220 lbs hits the ground awful hard!!!

[/ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I second that.... LOL! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

19. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I second that.... LOL! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, the bigger they are, the harder they fall. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif