Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pauly Says I Have to Get a CB

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by Rhinopkc, Nov 9, 2006.

1. Rhinopkc

Rhinopkc 1/2 ton status

I Know absolutely nothing about CB radios. Pilot has a cobra 29 LTD Classic on sale for $79, is that a decent radio at a decent price? What about antennas/mounts? I want something that won't break when I'm putting the desert pinstriping on my Blazer. Any other radio suggestions are welcome. If you have something for sale feel free to PM me.

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

A Cobra is a good choice , and a Wilson antenna . Do yourself a favor and get a model without Soundtracker and Nightwatch , you won't need any frills .

Another good choice would be a Uniden , or a current model Radio Shack chrome face ( all made on the same board anyway ) .

You also don't need anyone selling you roger beebs , noisemakers , echoes , or any other stuff like peaking and tuning . Most truck stop types who peak and tune cut the ALC and AMC , which makes the radio dirty just for a couple extra watts .

Just get a decent radio , and a Wilson antenna for wheeling purposes :deal: :thumb:

3. Rhinopkc

Rhinopkc 1/2 ton status

Is it better to get one with an swr meter built-in? The chrome face ones at Radio Shack are the same as the cobra I was looking at?

4. pauly383

A swr meter is 9.99 at Fry's electronics , buy a seperate swr meter . You can always also let your buddies use it .

As for a Wilson antenna , just measure an inch on the whip bottom , slide it to the inch mark , and cinch it down , you will be really close . I got my new one to do less than 1.1 swr across the whole band the first try with it magnet mounted to the roof center :thumb:

I used to run a really nice bottom loaded whip , but since breaking my roof mount , I am not putting a heavy antenna solid to the roof anymore aside from my 2m/440 antenna .

Magnet mount can and will fall off which saves the antenna , or mounts from damage .

5. Rhinopkc

Rhinopkc 1/2 ton status

The antenna I want is a bottom loaded whip, right?

6. pauly383

No . I used to run one . Tha antenna you want is a Wilson 1000 . which is bottom loaded anyway :thumb:

7. Rhinopkc

Rhinopkc 1/2 ton status

What about this little guy?

8. NEK5

NEK5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

those of you who have one, do you use it besides on a trail?

9. pauly383

For trail use its fine :D

10. NEK5

pauly, what else do you use yours for?

11. Rhinopkc

Rhinopkc 1/2 ton status

I think I'll get one of those, I don't use my Blazer for much more than trails or driving to and from trails. If I find myself really using it a lot, I'll get a nicer one later.

12. pauly383

I use 2 meters in town to talk to hams .

I occasionally listen to the freebanders cuss each other out on ssb . But usually no , I have no real intentions of talking skip to anyone on CB bands anymore , its worse than the lounge here :wink1:

When I pass my morse code test , I will just talk on 10 meters when the conditions permit :D

13. NEK5

all giberish to me:D

14. pauly383

2 Meters = higher frequencies for FM , licensed amatuers can only use .

Freebanders are the guys who talk crap and cuss up a storm with illegal radios , and amplifiers in above and below CB frequencies .

10 meters , is another licensed amatuer band , above CB frequencies where the freebanders sometimes go and cause trouble with their illegal stuff . To use it a licensed amatuer needs a morse code endorsement .

15. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Why don't you inform him how pricey those Wilson 1000's are, and realize, that with a decent radio, and swr set to as perfect as you can, a not-so-high priced antenna will work just fine.....remember my magnet mount? and the swr isn't even set real close yet, but Fred mentioned he could hear me several miles away while wheelin up in Moab...

Granted we were up on hills and such, but that's not going to matter when you are down in the canyons anyways, that signal doen't have big enough feet to crawl up and down those hillsides:p: ...

I would go ahead and get that Cobra 29, and just get ya a decent magnet mount, or comparable antenna, and someone on here will help you with setting up the swr to get you a real good output signal for what you will mostly use it for.

Truckers used to use those Wilson 1000's, 5000's and bigger antennas because just about all of them were running big ass linears, pushin some serious wattage, these things would handle it, but now there are bigger antennas available :D

16. pauly383

I saw some nice Midland'S on Ebay today for less than 50 with the shipping using the buy it now option .

Yes , you don't "have to" have a Wilson 1000 , but I am impressed with the swr right out of the box . I should of gotten mine sooner . And like TJ my other antenna got out pretty good as well .

A cheaper magnet mount is fine for trail use . TJ just likes to bust my balls whenever he can , like I do with Shawn :p:

17. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Don't get me wrong, i am definately NOT bashing the use, or decision for a Wilson antenna, but for mainly trail and group runs, where most are in close proximity of each other, a standard cheapo unit will do just fine,,,,,

oh, yeah, one other thing,,,,yes, that's what i do best

Last edited: Nov 14, 2006
  18. Rhinopkc

Rhinopkc 1/2 ton status

How much is the Wilson? Who sells them? I bought the small, black Cobra for less tha $40 at Wally world, installed it yesterday. Now I need a P.A. speaker and an antenna!

19. pauly383

Anywhere from 50 to 75 online . I got mine locally for 79.00 , could of gotten cheaper , but no shipping charges , and I prefer to spend money in my local economy as much as possible .

20. Rhinopkc

Rhinopkc 1/2 ton status

What stores sell them? Rat shack?