Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

PC based Scan tools

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, May 26, 2005.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Does anyone have a PC based scan tool or experience with one?

www.obd2.com

I'm looking at the products that company has. Seems like I could put together a PC based Scan tool setup for cheaper than buying a quality scan tool. That would also allow me to look stuff up online or in computerized service programs instead of just referencing from a scan tool to a pc or book.

2. originalspanksta

originalspanksta 1/2 ton status

i dont have experience with pc based stuff but i will say that we have a scan tool that I sell at work, for 150 retail, (i get a substantial discount) and it is AWESOME. takes 5 minutes to use, it's all self containedin a small package, tells each code (comes with a book with close to 4000 different codes in it, make specific or not) and allows you to erase the codes and turn off the light if neccessary. 1/2 the time it gives more details than the 2500 dollar snap-on scanner/computer that my machanic has. As far as Im concerned it's well worth the $$ and lack of hassle.

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I truly doubt its anything like I want or need. Does it read TPS signal? Fuel Trim? A/F Ratio? MAP signal? RPM? Does it let you know if engine monitors have been run(OBDII self diagnostics)? I don't want something that just tells me what code was tripped.

4. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

why not just use Winaldl? pretty sure that gives you all that for the cost of a $30 cable and a laptop...

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

ALDL is GMs OBDI setup, I am talking OBDII(all brands, national standardization, blah blah blah). A friend has one from www.obddiagnostics.com they are like $95 shipped, though hes had issues with his so far. need to try it on someone elses car, he has a Toyota so who knows.

6. 1985K20

1985K20 1/2 ton status

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Sounds like a really good price. I guess I should note, I'm not talking weekend warrior usage here guys. I am at school to learn to be an Auto Tech and though I don't really wish to be solely or forever an auto tech, I expect I'll have to do my time and want some tools to go with it.

For the price I am going to try the OBD Diagnostic setup. Just need to find a cheap laptop to go with it.

8. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

I love the Ease products. Thats one brand we use at school. I bought a pocket PC for the purpose of getting the ease setup for it (There is only OBDII for the pocket PC scan tool). It is quite in expensive and a good product, much better then the Strap-On scanner.