Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

PC Help

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by sandawgk5, Dec 20, 2006.

1. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

My PC keeps shutting down for no particular reason and I can hear the fans surging. I think my Power supply is going out. It is a 400W I run a AMD athlon XP 1700+ processor with windows XP and a Geforce 5600 AGP card. I also have a 60 Gig 7200 RPM HD (western Digital) and 2 CD drives one is a burner. I also have 2 80mm ball bearing case fans Someone told me that the 400W is the bare minimum for what I have. Is this true? What size and brand should I get? I found an Antec 650W for aboot $150 is this good? I can build one but I am not to good on the power requirements and I would rather have too much than not enough but would also like to keep it economical.

Give me your opinions on power supply size, brand and anything else you might be helpful with.

And if this is in the wrong spot get bent:D.

Thanks
    Ira

2. garlicbreath

garlicbreath 1/2 ton status

Antec makes good supplies

3. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

Yep, Antec is a good name and the 650w should be plenty of power for what you are running.:waytogo:

4. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

I have the same thread in the garage and it was mentioned my video card is prolly the culprit and the problem occured recently after the card was changed. I just thought it was a supply issue. I am thinking aboot putting an ATI all-in-wonder TV tuner card in to make it a tv as well. I dont need a huge card as I dont game anymore. Does anyone have any experience with ATI cards?

Ira

5. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

I have had nothing but ati stuff in my computers. X1900XTX in it now. Whats your price range?

As for the power supply, I have an AntecTrueControl 550w power supply sitting in the closet. It's an awesome, high quality power supply, waaaaay more than adequate for your needs. I'm not using it because I got a new motherboard that doesn't accept the connector on the old power suppply. And of course the new mobo lead to a newpower supply too. lol

Anyways, If your interested in this power supply it's yours for $50 shipped.

Here is a review-
    http://www.fastlanehw.com/reviews.php?i=36

6. CustomChevy

CustomChevy 1/2 ton status

For what you have you will need no more than 350 watts.

I'f probably go with a 400 watt thermaltake, generally not expesive, and good quality.

Antec do make good things, but you will pay for them, and its probably not worth it on a machine with older hardware.

7. SLOK5

SLOK5 1/2 ton status

Is all your software up to date? there was a trojan going around that would shut off/restart your computer and needed to be removed. Run virus scan / adware scans. It may also be a loose connection on your cards. make sure all your cards are seated in place (power off), Also it may be that your cpu is over heating do to poor thermal paste contact or your cooling fan is inop or plugged up. You can get programs that measure you case/motherboard/cpu temps for free. One is Mother Boad Monitor. Hope this helps

8. CustomChevy

CustomChevy 1/2 ton status

if your fans are surging, its possible that they are just dusted up and you need to bust out the compressor (at like 30psi MAX) and blow the crap out of there.

if not,

powersupply.

9. roadhawg

roadhawg 1/2 ton status

I was a geforce fan for years.....bought an Ati All in wonder and will own one from now on.....It beats any geforce card ive owned hands down, and the tv tuner and extended desktop with 2 monitors is awesome!

I had a pc that kept shutting off and it was the power supply. It did it for a few months and finally went bad.