Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

PC networking guys need help here

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by sled_dog, Sep 25, 2004.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Sep 3, 2002
    alright here we go. My computer connects to the internet through the DSL modem. I have it setup so the internet connection is shared with the rest of the home network. My mom's computer is having problems. She can logon to AOL Instant Messaging without a problem but IE and outlook don't do anything. They look and look and come back with nothing.

Here is how my Network connections screen looks:

Any thoughts on wtf is happening? When I resetup my mom's computer to connect to the net through mine it realizes the connection is there.
  2. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

May 8, 2001
    Did you changed your firewall settings recently or install service pack 2? I'm thinking it might be something with your firewall not allowing certain traffic to/from her computer.

On her computer, do this to test:
    1. Click Start->Run
    2. Type CMD and hit enter
    3. You should have a "dos" screen; type (without quotes) "ping www.cisco.com".

If things are ok with DNS and the firewall, you should see something like "Reply from".
    If DNS is ok, but you're firewall is blocking ICMP, you should see "Request timed out" (but that desn't mean something's broken, just should be looked at).
    If DNS is having issues (which would be odd since it has to resolve oscar.aol.com), you'll see something like "could not find...". In this case, open the browser and type "" and hit enter. This bypasses DNS, you should get the cisco home page. If not, you're having deeper issues.

Also, in the cmd window, type "IPCONFIG /all" and make sute it has a gateway and dns entry.

The weird thing is that you're getting IM connectivity, that uses all the features I'm recommending you test.

I've never played with XP's firewall (I have this bad habit of assuming MS's OS built-in stuff will be half-assed). I'm leaning toward that at the moment, since some traffic gets through and some doesn't. If you're having trouble with that, I might say to reset it back to defaults, but I couldn't tell ya how...
  3. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

Jan 12, 2001
    I'm guessing your using a network port in from the DSL and a network port out the other machines? Not a router to control the modem and all the machines on the router?

Which ever network controller, the cnet or netgear, right click and make sure the sharing is turned on and the setting is put to use this computer as a gateway for others to get to the internet. check the cables, make sure her drivers on her computer are ok. Next step I would say go pickup a router and put all the computers behind a NAT firewall /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif
  4. NerdBoy

NerdBoy 1/2 ton status

Dec 24, 2002
    What OS is on the computer that is having issues? I've had problems making a Win98 and WinME machine "talk" to and through an XP box.
    I would suggest that you buy a DSL router, honestly, it will make setting up connections to the net a lot easier, and will have a better firewall than XP has, as XP's firewall is dependent on M$, and they are quite worthless when it comes to security. Around here, I can get decent rounters for less than $50, which isn't a whole lot more than an extra network card for a shared connection, and will give you a *lot* less headaches.