Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

PC problem...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 84gmcjimmy, Aug 22, 2004.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

heres the scoop/...
    my moms computer downstairs wont load here is what is does:
    when you press the power button to turn it on, it turns on, but when loading (almost to the username page) it stops at the "Window XP is loading" (or whatever it says, with the little thing below it) then it goes to a grey screen, then shuts off... then it turns back on, and keeps doing that. So I cant get onto any of the desktops or anything... is there anything I can do to fix it? I never use that computer so I have no clue if there is a virus or something...
    I dont know the specs on it, its pretty much a basic windows xp home edition computer...
    We will probably take it to the place we got it from for them to fix it... if I cant figure it out...

So does anyone have any ideas?

2. donimator

donimator 1/2 ton status

Press F8 as it is staring up and try to go into safe mode. If that works, reboot and try it again. You can run a virus scan and check the event view and see what errors appear.

3. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

okay I will try that in a few minutes /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif thanks!

4. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Here's something to try real quick.
    See if you can get it to start in "Safe mode" Then do a system restore.
    To start in safe mode: Turn on your puter. Just after the screen lights and before windows starts to load up push F8.(May have to push it a few times.)
    A menu should come up
    select start in safe mode.
    puter should start with a bare minimum of programs and drivers. But will look like a windows desk top
    To get to system restore: Click Programs> accesories> system tools> system restore.
    Or you can find it by clicking "Help"
    Hope this helps

5. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I don't want to delete any of my moms files; will system restore delete files from 5 days ago, if I make it go back to that day?
    I will try that /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

6. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Restore wil delete anything installed on the comp between the date you select and the present time. It takes a snapshot of your computer and restores it to the exact state it was on the day you slect.

7. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

okay maybe I will wait until tomorrow for when my mom gets home, i dont want to wreck any of her programs for work...
    Just things installed will be deleted, not files?

8. hi pinion

hi pinion 3/4 ton status

or another thing you can do is press cont,alt delete 3 times in a row, thatl fixr /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

9. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

i know what that does if you press it once, what does it do when you press it 3 times? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

10. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

On XP there is a system restore wizzard that walks you thru Restore. It is a very simple process. It usually does not affect personal data files like stuff in Word, email and documents.
    All it mainly affects is your operating system and program settings. It can fix corrupted start up files and changes/overwrites made by a virus

11. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

okay I will try that tonight then, thanks! /forums/images/graemlins/bow.gif

12. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Okay I tried the safe mode thing (3 different safe mode options showed up, tried all 3) and it seemed like it worked after I clicked enter after I told them I was using windows xp home edition for my operating system, then it went to a black screen with a bunch of lines saying multi(0)...then at the end it said "driver" 32 or something I cant remember, then it didn't do anything, so I clicked Enter, and it restarted like before /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

13. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

I just had a virus do this to my main hard drive couple of weeks ago. I just "mastered" the slave drive and loaded a new W2k install and all is good. I ran Norton on the bad drive and got nothing. I should note that it was not actually the virus that did this, I was cleaning it out of my Registry and that did it.

Just a note - IF you do take it to a shop, it may be cheaper to just take it in and have them install a NEW hard drive linked to your old one. The $ may be higher if the shop needs to "analyze" the problem. This way you get more storage space (the old one and the new one) and all the files are saved for your mom also.

later ,
    jakeslim