Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

PC protection

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by hunterguy86, Dec 8, 2005.

1. hunterguy86

hunterguy86 1/2 ton status

What do yall use to protect your PC's?

I'm using AVG for virus protection.
    For spywear I have Adaware and Spybot.
    I also have winpatrol.
    I browse webpages in firefox.

What do yall use?
    Anything else I need to keep my computer safe?

2. aldrichg9

aldrichg9 Registered Member

I have been using Microsoft's Anti-Spyware Beta.
    Happy with it so far.

Also use AVG free

3. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

I'm trying to move my PC use over to a Linux, and It just won't work. All office, email & web surfing works OK, but it doesn't support my design software.

I've got clients who's computers are protected w/ all sorts of stuff and they still get infected.

I'd say the best thing you can do:
    -Quit using the MS IE and MS OE crap and start browseing with Firefox and emailing with Thunderbird
    -Use Norton for Viruses & Keep it updated
    -Use Microsoft AntiSpyware, Adaware, and Spybot in conjunciton for spyware/adware
    - And most importantly be smart, concious and aware of what you're doing on your PC

Mike

4. hunterguy86

I try to be aware of what I open and download.

Is Microsoft antispywear a free download? I'm a poor college kid.

I dont use any microsoft stuff anymore inrealtionship to the web. I use firefox to browse the web and just log in straight to my emial. I hate OE with a passion.

Where can I get a copy of Linux? My friend has an older computer (with a pintium 3) he doesnt want. I figured Id get it just to try out linux or redhat or something to that effect just to see what its like.

5. aldrichg9

aldrichg9 Registered Member

yes

6. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

Yes, MSAS is free, right on microsoft.com. It downloads & installs less than 10 mins.

Some linux distro's are free, some are as much as $150. I found one called Xandros for $90 and it's great. It's got all the stuff I need and isn't missing stuff like some of the free distros.

Here's a list of the more common (thus most supported) distros with links to download:
    http://distrocenter.linux.com/

More info:
    http://www.linux.org/

7. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

I run Gentoo linux. I've been using Linux since about 2001, never looked back.

8. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I use Symantec Antivirus Corporate edition 10 (comparable to Norton 2005 I think).
    I don't use any anti-spyware software on my personal machines, but we don't surf anywhere that makes it a problem. I use Adaware on office machines that ever happen to be infected, but that's infrequent thanks to some more drastic measures I put in place a year or so ago...

Basically the only protection I use is Symantec AV and fairly cautious browsing.

9. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

PC Protection.....

[​IMG]

10. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Aol...

I have AOL,and its "9.0" LE edition I have has free Mcaffe virus protection...though its only detected one "trojan" in 6 months or more,I've never had any virus problems..I sometimes wonder if it works right(or at all!)-..it does not always "load" properly when I sign on..one thing I hate about it is if it decides to "update",it just starts doing so by itself,and you can't stop it..and it slows the computer to a crawl..then it says "you must "restart" to finish the install"...:doah: :mad: ...PITA!!..takes me at least 5-7 minutes to get back online..:crazy:

11. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

I run no virus software.
    I will run adaware and spybot once a month.
    I am careful about where I surf.
    Every time I am done surfing, I clear cookies, temp files, and history.
    If you end up with something not working right just use Trendmicro's Housecall( its free also)

12. hunterguy86

Do you have anyspywear protection? Might be causing the computer to run slow. Also if you have a lot of stuff in your start up list it will take forever to load.

13. CustomChevy

CustomChevy 1/2 ton status

lol housecall couldn't detect aids in magic johnson!

14. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

All I have for spyware is whatever protection AOL provides..and if I knew what my "startup list" was,I could probably answer your other question!....:doah:

I suspect the AOL 9.0 LE edition just about maxes out my computers memory..thats why it takes so long to load..I think I might be running off the hard drive itself..I hear 2 da-da-da-da noises it never made before when I turn it on,since I went to 9.0"--(and I still have the "8.0" loaded as a backup)--same noise it makes when you "clean" the hard drive of temporary files..

Yet,if I do a "system check",it says "resousces 60% free"..so if I'm using only 40%,why is it so slow to load??

If I knew more about the computer I'm sure I could make it work better and faster..I probably have something set up wrong,or have programs I never use I could delete--( I think "realplayer "and "musicmatchbox" might be in there still)--but I'm not sure how to do it..and am afraid of making it worse,or pooching it totally..:(

I really need a better computer--this was a "custom made" one,its supposedly a Dell in a "SP" case..(Super Power!)..I think its landfill leftovers stuffed in a new case for 250 bucks..I'm still using the HP Paviliion keybord from my old computer I bought in 2001..I bet it'll be toast soon,judging by the way it acts many times when I use it..:crazy:

15. MarcS

MarcS 1/2 ton status

Definatly download and run Firefox, Adaware and Spybot if using Windows. Even if you go to "safe" sites, you won't believe the cookies and crap you get. Go to this link on Wackbag.com http://wackbag.com/showthread.php?t=11726. It has all kinds of info on protecting your PC from viruses and spyware and most of it is free. Linux sounds the way to go, but I'm not confident in my PC knowledge enough yet to try it.