Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

PCV or Filters

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by PsRumors, Dec 16, 2006.

1. PsRumors

PsRumors 1/2 ton status

Will be putting the finishing touches on the 454 install tomorrow. Are there any advantages using a PCV system? I wont be smogged so that is not a concern.

2. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Other than the emissions aspect, I'm not aware of any reason why a PCV system would be preferable to a simple breather/filter setup. I'd be curious to see what everyone else thinks of this.

3. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

You need a CORRECTLY installed PCV system if you don't want to be blowing seals and have oil leaking all over the place. Having an open breather system does not allow the blowby to escape fast enough and you will blow seals, timing cover, oil pan, rear main, valve covers.

4. broncoman6524

broncoman6524 1/2 ton status

could bad pcv grommets cause leaks...mainly oil drips? i put my brand new motor in and it leaks in 3 place around the pan and rear main...

5. mjnemmer

mjnemmer Registered Member

a pcv system sucks all the blow by out of ur engine and if u dont have one the blowby(unburnt fuel and air) builds up in ur crank case. after that all it takes is one spark in ur crank case and then ur engine litteraly explodes.even over heating can get the gases to go boom.

6. PsRumors

PsRumors 1/2 ton status

really?? Not being argumentative but I have had engines in the past that did not have PCV systems they only had open breathers. Was I just lucky or have things changed over the years. The were Ford motors, is there a difference?

A "correctly" installed system. PCV valve in one valve cover with a pipe to the PCV port on the carb. Pipe in the other cover to the air cleaner for fresh air. Is that correct? Can the one with a pipe to the air cleaner just be an open breather?

Thanks for the input.

7. obijuan

obijuan 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

yeah i had two open breathers because the PO put them there an i kept it like that and soon enough i had replaced the rear and front seals, both valve covers, distributor gastket, and was about to do the intake. then i asked this question and put my PCV ito the carb and brake booster to the manifold and they all stopped. you can tell its happier.

8. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

A correctly installed PCV system would be a PCV valve in one valve cover with its hose connecting to the carb then the opposite valve cover will have a hose connecting to the air cleaner, and NO this hose cannot just have a breather on it open to the air, it must be installed into the air cleaner which also helps to suck the blowby out of the crankcase.

9. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Well, I'm gonna have to disagree with you guys on this...

PCV is not a necessity... Marine motors have never run them.. You don't see them blowing seals..

10. PsRumors

PsRumors 1/2 ton status

I have heard it helps with rings sealing. You hear all sorts of things. I will be running one just to make the 454 look a little more stock in it's enviroment.

11. ryoken

Yup, I should have clarified further by saying that I would suggest running the system... It does help evacuate the crankcase, especially at lower rpm's......

Marine stuff is a whole different beast... When you run the rpm's at 4500 for hrs, pcv loses some of it's importancy... :wink1:

12. broncoman6524

broncoman6524 1/2 ton status

wait so ive got a pcv in once valve cover...the other just has a breather...i have an edelbrock chrome air cleaner thingy w/o any type of connector for a hose...this is wrong?

13. ryoken

The main aspect is a pcv that is attached to a vacuum source below the throttle blades... A tube running over to air cleaner from the other vc provides additional evacuation and assures all crankcase vapors are injested, as opposed to just being trapped by a filter.. But the filter wont hurt anything...

14. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Ya I have the same setup...

pcv in one valve cover connected to the port on the carb. And a breather on the other valve cover.

15. AZ79K5Project

AZ79K5Project 1/2 ton status

The chrome edlebrock aircleaner comes with an angled hose fitting. The idea is to punch the (wtf do you call that thing) indentation(??) out and attach the angle hose fitting to the bottom of the aircleaner and the other end of a hose to the valve cover. Obviousely, Edlebrock did not cut the hole out and left it to the customer to decide how to install it.

If anyone is interested, I can post a pic of mine. I don't know which edlebrock I have, but its round and chrome.

Edelbrock

16. Chevy305

17. mr.smartass

mr.smartass 1 ton status Premium Member

I have TBI, originally there was the pcv valve in one VC and a breather hose in the other, the PCV was connected to the front of the TB and the breather hose was connected to the metal spacer with the elbow coming out the back between the air cleaner and TB, now with Edelbrock Valve covers I removed that spacer and just a filter on the passenger side (I pour oil in here when I change the oil or add oil). The driver's side is still hooked up like stock with the pcv valve. On this side with the filter, should i find a way to hook it back up to the air cleaner or what? Why don't they use a pcv valve on both sides? maybe we should add some pics to this thread...

18. Chevy305

can a PCV effect power, or responsiveness?

19. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

nobody has hit on the real advantage of a properly installed PCV setup. you guys nailed the evacuation of crankcase fumes, and the less stress on seals lessening the chances of blown seals. however, what you guys failed to get is the lowering of pressure in the crankcase, and on the back side of the piston rings. this promotes a better seal in the rings. the better the rings seal, the more power the engine will put out. so yes, a properly installed PCV system could actually improve power and responsiveness, although it probably wouldnt be noticable enough for a seat of the pants improvement. also, a better ring seal will keep combustion gasses out of the crankcase, keeping your engine oil cleaner as well.

20. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

What he said, BUT beware that if you are running a high comp ratio that it can also lead to detonation at part throttle. The reason is that some of the vapors ignite more easily than gasoline does, which effectively lowers your octane. Street compression ratio engines won't notice any trouble (or shouldn't). 100+ octane engines may.

Can't run two valves b/c you need someplace for replacement air to get in and you want the ventilation to flow thru the engine from one side to the other. You also want the PCV to be located where there is very, very little oil splash or it too will get sucked into the engine's intake.