Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

PCV Valve hookup?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by garlicbreath, Apr 25, 2005.

1. garlicbreath

garlicbreath 1/2 ton status

I know this is a stupid question, so if the brain fart smells bad, please warn your neighbors. I have a 350 with a performer RPM intake and a holley 750 vacuum secondary dual inlet carb. I didn't look it over with a microscope, but right now the only 2 ports I found are used by the brake booster and the dist. Where do you have your PCV valve hooked up?

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

You can Tee into the brake booster hose.

3. garlicbreath

garlicbreath 1/2 ton status

And that doesn't affect the brakes? I looked better tonight and there is a big port on the passenger side of the carb under the choke, is that ported vacuum? Do we want the PCV hooked up to manifold vacuum or ported?

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Its important...

You need manifold vacuum,usually a stock Q-jet carb has a fitting in the back side pointing at the firewall that has a steel line going to the booster--you probably lost that source when the holley went on...

You can "T" it into the PCV valve,as GM did on many vehicles,but I dont on my own trucks for a few reasons--one is if the PCV hose ever cracks or comes off,you lose your power assist to the brakes!(plus the PCV valve is a slight vacuum leak,that reduces the amount of power assist)--another is unless you use that charcoal canister dewhicky between the booster and the hose to the PCV valve,crankcase fumes get into the booster and rot out the rubber diaphram fairly quickly...

Usually there is at least one manifold vacuum source "leftover" thats plugged off with a pipe plug--most stock GM intakes have a big one on the drivers side under the carb,right in the center...if not,look elsewhere,you should find an empty one to use,or if not,you might have to "T" it into another source....I like my brake booster to have its own separate vacuum source,and it has to be a fairly big opening,stock ones use 3/8 steel line to the rubber hose on the booster....and dont use regular fuel line hose,it collapses too easy!! :crazy: