Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

PCV valve on 400cid engine

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Chris1972, Jan 14, 2001.

1. Chris1972

Chris1972 Registered Member

On my Carter 750 carb there is somthing called pcv vale.
    What is it and do i need to connect it to my Edelbrock intake somewhere. And if so where
    ore can i just block it.
    Engine is a 400cid from before 1975

Chris

www.broadpark.no/~csteinsv/

2. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

i think what you are talking about is the Positive Crankcase Ventilation valve.. it goes to your valve cover and sucks out the pressure from your crankcase when the engine is running. it doesnt use any hoesrpower and keeps your crankcase from getting contaminated. it will also keep the gases from blowing out your seals/gaskets. i wouldnt block it. just hook it up to a new pcv valve (under 5 bucks in USA, probably 20 where you are), or clean your old one with WD-40 and make sure the little ball rattles. hope this helps

AIRBORNE!!

3. Chris1972

Chris1972 Registered Member

4. yeild2me

yeild2me 1/2 ton status

oic--- i think that you could probably get an oil fil cap that has it thru the center. i am pretty sure i had one of these on my old impala. its been a while though. i watched your video. sounds good... i love the smell of a fresh rebuild--burning all the assembly oil, the fresh paint getting hot, the frustration of getting all the little adjustments squared away--- ahhhhhhhh !!!

AIRBORNE!!

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I can't believe no one else responded to this. You need to run the PCV system, or at least breathers. PCV IMO is probably more beneficial than just breathers. In any case, if you don't run PCV, you will blow out gaskets. PCV removes the blowby, fumes, etc from the crankcase. You will end up blowing gaskets, at least. Most aftermarket valve covers I have seen are pre stamped on the underside so that you can break the holes out for breathers or PCV valve.

Dorian
    My K5 and Chev/Olds tech/links page: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://yeagerd.home.mindspring.com/index2.html>http://yeagerd.home.mindspring.com/index2.html</A>