Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

PCV Valve on Valve cover?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by hank14, Jan 25, 2007.

1. hank14

hank14 Registered Member

89 V10 Blazer, 5.7L TBI. 66,000 miles.
    The PS valve cover has a traditional PCV valve with a rigid tube that connects to the front of the throttle body. The DS valve cover has another type of tube connecting to the back of the throttle body. I can not get that one out of the valve cover, and the grommet is friable and breaking down.

What is it, and does it need to be replaced at certain intervals?
    Any tricks to removing it?

Also, both my power steering pump and gear box are leaking some, a few drops a day. I have tried 2 bottles of Lucas PS leak stop with no luck. I bought a seal kit for the PS pump, but they didn't have one for the box at NAPA. Should I replace the seals or replace both with rebuilt equipment. They aren't making any noise and still work smooth.

On a side note, I'm going to sell it soon, so I want it fixed, but don't want to spend a lot of $$.

Thanks in advance.

Scott

2. NEK5

NEK5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

The hose on your DS cover is your breather.

3. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Yep. The PCV valve draws a vacuum, so it has to draw the air from somewhere. The hose on the DS is where that air comes from after it gets filtered. As long as the hose is not plugged and the elbow is not cracked or broken, there's nothing that needs replaced.

If you're only losing a few drops from the steering box, I wouldn't worry about it, especially since you're going to be selling it. Since you already have the pump seals, might as well replace them. Just be sure you bleed the system properly. Someone posted an excellent PS bleeding procedure on here yesterday.

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

add some..

You can add a bit of DOT 3 brake fluid to the P/S pump,that will soften and swell up old hardened seals, and help reduce or stop the leaks...many of the "stop leak" additives are not much more than brake fluid in a fancy can..dont try this on a Honda or other forigen vehicles though--just a teaspoon of the wrong P/S fliud in those vehicles will destroy the seals..:doah:

5. hank14

hank14 Registered Member

Sounds good. I'll look at the PS pump bleeding thread, and prepare to pull it to replace the seals. I also bought a new high pressure hose today. The oricinal one is looking a bit weak. By the time I'm done replacing those things and adding the upgraded headlight harness I bought from LMCTruck, I'll be happy driving it another 6 months or so.