Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

PCV VALVE

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 4x4blazer, Jul 12, 2000.

1. 4x4blazer

4x4blazer 1/2 ton status

Can I put a breather in the place of a pcv valve?

2. imconfused

imconfused Registered Member

I believe that you should keep the PVC . Spectre makes a PCV/breather. It is chrome and looks just like a breather element(of course it still has the hose to connect to carb)

3. 4x4blazer

4x4blazer 1/2 ton status

Ok, but can anyone tell me what the PVC valve is for, and what would I lose/gain if I did replace it with a breather?

4. 4x4blazer

4x4blazer 1/2 ton status

Oh yea, most of the rest of my emisions crap is already in the trash can.

5. Scoobydoo

Scoobydoo 1/2 ton status

Phoenix / Peoria ARIZONA. (75thAve/DeerValley)
    PCV = Positive Crankcase Ventilation. You are venting the vapors that build up in your crankcase.
    You can run just a breather BUT, by doing this your are letting pressure build up and push the vapors out (pressure sometimes creates oil leaks)
    With the PCV you are letting the carb draw them out through a small amount of vacuum. Ideally a breather lets air in, and the PCV draws vapors out (continuous flow). This is why it is called "POSITIVE" crankcase ventilation.
    In some Hi performance motors people do not like the PCV going into the air supply of the carb and the run the hose to the exhaust (usually headers) this will also draw from the PCV by creating a small vacuum. And on very Hi perf motors they run a separate pump.
    You would be best to leave it alone, you really have nothing to gain by removing it. And it has nothing to do with emissions.

6. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

Scooby is right, you're best off leaving the PCV, if the vapors aren't sucked out they can build up in the engine, and in extream cases, ignite and blow out seals, blow off covers, oilpan, etc. I'd make sure it works and keep it, its more of a safety device than anything else.

RaisedK5

"Friends don't let friends drive Fords"