Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

PDL2

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by Z3PR, Feb 2, 2003.

1. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Was over to a friends house last night who happens to be a ham operator. Anyways, we got talking about beam antennas. So now I WANT a pair or PDL2's stacked !!!!!!!! Noticed I said WANT. Becouse I've gotta finish building the K5 befor I do any major spending on radio equipment. Figure a 65 foot electric crank up tower, a heavyduty rotor, and (2) PDL2's isn't going to be cheap. Well, it'd be nice, but it's also going to be quite awhile befor I can aford to do it. But it'd be awsome !!!!!!!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

Paul,
    Just found an old Palomar 350 watt kicker I used to use when I was a trucker. I may bring that when I come up there this August for Sturgis...... Maybe you can play with it. I don't need it anymore. I had new finals put in about 6 years ago and haven't used it but about twice since then....

John

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Kewl /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Judd

Judd 1/2 ton status

You ought to see a friend of mines 11 meter beam. It's a Gizmachi{spelling?} with something like 6 or so add ons! The tower is 70ft I believe and the boom length is someting like 50-60ft! The antenna is nearly as long as the tower is high. When we put it up, we figured it would come back down during the first major windstorm or iceing. Well believe it or not, it's been up now for something like 3 years.

5. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Sounds like the Maco "Laser 500". [​IMG]

6. rebelk5frk

rebelk5frk 1/2 ton status

Why stack pdl-2's when you can stack 2 of those suckers.

I mean if you're dreaming you might as well dream BIG!

Have them stacked on a 100' tower with about 3000 watts behind it. The whole world will /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif you.

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

A pair of PDL2's aren't unrealistic price wise (I can aford $180.00 each verses over $600.00 each on the Laser 500), they have a much higher wind survival rate, and won't wiegh as much as even one of those Maco "Laser 500" beams.( The stacked PDL2's won't need as big of a rotor box) So a stacked set of PDL2's fit my needs much better. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

<font color="blue"> PDL2 </font color> [​IMG]

9. 4DiggerDan

4DiggerDan 1/2 ton status

You really should stack them side to side, then run 'em both horizontally polarized. most man made noise is vertically polarized, and most of the time shooting skip you get better signal on both ends. There used to be a guy here (one of the Sons of the Rocky Mtns) on 27.500 that had 4 PDL2s on a 100' tower and was running like a KW. It was gruesome to be in the same county when he keyed up... Good beam though. Never had one. Used a lot of them over at friends houses though /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Yeah, I want to run them side by side like a double barrel shot gun. That's what they call stacked around here. I'm thinking a 50 or 65 foot electric (Motorized) crank up tower. I'm on a hill as it is. I do live in a high wind area, and would want to be able to lower it during storms. Quad PDL2's atop a 100 foot tower would be outraugous !!!!!!!!!! I'm not currently running any extra power, but a modulator into 1kw would be very nice !!!!!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif