Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Peaked and tuned?

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by mofugly13, Oct 26, 2005.

1. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

When a CB radio is 'peaked and tuned" what exactly is done to it? Is it something you could do on your own? I assume it takes some special equipment like an oscilloscope or something?

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Basically it is adjusted for the best possible performance . Its like a Chevy , it can put out much more with a few tweaks , but off the showroom floor its only putting out what uncle sam and the insurance companies allow .

No , if its a trail radio , its not even needed unless you wheel alone miles from civilization .

You want to talk far distances and meet new people , you can get a Ham license :D

3. mofugly13

Well, I figured that much, peaked and tuned kind of defines itself as far as the end result is concerned. I just wanted to know what exactly they do. Do they change out some solid state components, adjust variable capacitors, rehostats? I'm not looking for specific instructions, just a better understanding of the process.

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Usely no, but on some radio's you can have larger finals installed. I peak and tune is fine, but modulation is where it's at !!!!!! Put some swing in that thing.

5. mofugly13

You may as well be speaking chinese. Is there a CB radio for dummies book?

6. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

http://www.dxzone.com/ lots of links there:D

7. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Modulation; how do I explain. I'm not the best at wording things, but I'll try. Watch your signal meter for a while. Ever notice how some people will sound louder then others even though they don't have as strong of a meter reading as someone else ?? Ever see your meter swinging up as they talk ?? That's modulation. Modulation is what makes you loud, not the carrier. For instance, my radio has a 15 watt dead key, but swings up over 60 watts on AM. No, it's not a standard CB, and yes, it's been modified a tad bit, but don't tell anyone, LOL.

8. bcrewcaptain

bcrewcaptain Registered Member