Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pearl Harbor Day

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by sapper, Dec 7, 2002.

1. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

In case anyone forgot today is Pearl Harbor Day. I like to think about the last blow in the Pacific campaign in stead of the first and that now we get along for everyones benifit /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

On my road trip yesterday, I found out that the choice of radio stations on FM in the Gay Bay are somewhere between crap and crap, so I flipped though talk radio and one show had a couple of guys that had been on the USS Pennsylvania at the time just telling stories about the day, and their time in the Navy. Very good listen.

3. sapper

i bet that was good

4. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

It was. These two guys had joined in '39 and '40, so there were some pre-Dec 7 stories and turns out that one of them had wrote a book about it, but I didn't get to hear too much about it, but I guess he did some research and they had a lot of good info. I love listening to old guys tell stories. Reminded me of my grandfather telling me stories about when he was a kid.

5. sapper

one of the best things to ever happen to me was last year at x-mas, the wife is from Michigan so were there at here grandmothers house and this short stocky guy walks in and bellows "WHOS THE DAMN MARINE HERE" i just look at him and went back to the tv, but he floored my when he started talking about when he was a Marine.......during Korea! This guy was in 1st division fighting back from Chosin to Koto Ri. so after that we went outside and i listened to to years of history. its amazing what that generation did, i think of stuff we do now with all the high teck this and that and they did it without, amazing /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

My one grandfather that went across Europe never talked about it, except for one time.

That older generation was probably the toughest SOBs on the planet for going through what they went through.

7. sapper

you dont get the title "Greatest Generaton" for coming up with game shows, but you know America was a different place back then, people would just fight and get it over with, now its a lawsuit, with exception of medical technology i wish things would have stayed the same.

8. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Yep. My grandfather who always talked to me about the Depression was one tough SOB, and would go rounds at the drop of the hat, even after having both knees replaced.