Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pedal to the floor, brake pedal that it

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 87Blzr, Jul 14, 2000.

1. 87Blzr

87Blzr 1/2 ton status

The pedal has been going down kind of far so I manually adjusted the rear brakes figuring that would do it. Nope, the pedal goes right down. They will pump up. I then bled all four wheels and it still goes right down. Do I need a master cylinder? Its a 87 with the aluminum/plastic master cylinder. I heard these rarely go but the Blazer has 176k miles. Figures, I was (am) going to pick up my truck at lunch time to go get a sticker, something I have been dreading anyway. I live in MA and they don't like trucks like mine. 4 inch lift with 35's.

87 K5 Siverado, 68 SS 396 Camaro

2. BillyBob

BillyBob 1/2 ton status

My 87 does almost the same thing, except my pedal doesn't go to the floor.. but it goes pretty far. In any case, I don't know what is causing mine. I plan on bleeding the brakes soon. I hope it isn't something more serious than a little air in the lines.

http://billybob.coloradok5.com
    It's all fun 'n games, till someone gets stuck.

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

There is a button on the proportioning valve (front crossmember) that you need to press when you bleed the brakes It locks out the the valve so you can get the rears to bleed correctly. It has a rubber boot over it and pretty stiff.
    When adjusting the rear brakes you really got to get them dragging to be adjusted correctly. If the drums have some wear it should be hard to get them on and off. You should hear them drag and feel a slight drag when you turn the wheel.
    If you off road the truck and get mud in the drum they wear far faster than the auto adjuster can keep up with. I find that I'm replaced rear shoes about every 12k and adjusting them about every 3k on my trail rig. On my 79 that no longer sees the trail I get double the life and only have to manualy adjust them once between changes if at all. The rears usualy are the cause for a low peddle.
    If the master has been changed there could also be a problem with the linkage from the peddle to the booster. There is an ajustment for the peddle hight but it's rare that it ever needs to be adjusted and thats only after a master or booster swap.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/