Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pee

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 84gmcjimmy, Aug 11, 2005.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

At our new house my dog doesn't have as big as a backyard as he used too. Before, he pee'd along the fence where we could not see. Now at our new house he is pee'ing along a flower garden thing, close to the fence. It's killing the grass.
    What can I/we do to move the spot where he pees, so instead of killing one large spot. he can kill small portiions, which will be easier to fix later? Or what do you suggest CK5 gods? ;) I tried putting a chair over top of the dead area so he moves, but he just pee'd on the chair :mad:

Thanks

2. shewheeler

shewheeler 1/2 ton status

My male dog does the same thing... pisses all over everything. When I finally get my backyard dialed in with sod and such, I was gonna try one of these :dunno:

Right now, I just hose down everything good... keeps the stink down a little. :crazy:

3. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

Work on the dogs diet.

I've heard that if their urine is killing grass then they may need more water or possibly their food might not be right. Either way the urine is too acidic(sp?) which is what's killing the grass.

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Petsmart , or simmilar pet stores if your area has some , has stuff you put in the dogs food that is supposed to keep the grass from dying .

[​IMG]

5. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

Diaper?? :D

6. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

Thanks, found out its the nitrogen in the dogs urine.

I will look for that grass saver liquid like paul posted. And I may consider the pee post-although I don't know where I'd want him to pee, maybe in the alley :haha:

Thanks

7. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

We tried giving him higher quality dog food earlier, but it just gave him uncontrolled diareahha (sp?)

We give him Iams dog food, with some wet stuff in the morning or afternoon. We give him scraps from dinner. And his water bowl is always full-so we cant really MAKE him drink anymore water than what he wants :doah:

8. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Quit doing that. You are not doing him any favors. You could be contributing/causing his problem w/out knowing it. Their digestive systems are not designed to process the kinds of foods we eat. Most of the time, when you switch a dogs food, they will get diareah (sp?). If you want a high quality food that won't break the bank, get him Pro-Plan. It's some of the best stuff out there.

Just so you know, my wife runs a veterinary hospital, so my info is pretty good.

9. shewheeler

shewheeler 1/2 ton status

When you switch up their food, you gotta do it over a period of time. You gradually replace their old food with the new food. Mix in a little more of the new stuff each day until they are eating only the new food. Less traumatic on their poor tummies this way :)

Oh, yah, and quit giving him scraps! :p:

10. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Water the lawn!!..

I dont know about dogs too much--but I'd think if you dilute the PEE with enough water,it should prevent the urine from killing the grass..nitrogen is in fertilizer!..I'd think it would be benificial,not harmful to the grass??--but too much of anything is not good...

You think YOU have pet troubles!--how would you like 12+ stray cats pooping and peeing right in front of your house,behind the spruce bushes!--its smells like a manure pit/cesspool,and its REALLY bad today,because its 95 degrees out!..I water it down a lot to help keep the odor down,and it helps it to decompose faster as well...but I still have to go out and rake up the mess every few weeks,and I nearly pass out from the stench!(guess I'd make a lousy pig farmer!).

I can only imagine what the delivery people and other visitors think when they stand at the front door and get a whiff of it!...I really wish we could catch a lot of the strays and get rid of them,but nobody--not even our animal control officer,is willing to help...and it would break my mom's heart,she's become very attached to them,and would hate to see them taken to the gas chamber...its a tough situation,but its gonna have to end someday.. :crazy:

11. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Is that really true?? I heard that all growing up and never thought it made sense.
    My vet told us to give our pup scraps often in addition to regular mutt food, the more the better. His layman's explanation (which I always thought made sense) was that processed dog food has been around much less time than dogs have been domesticated, and dogs ate the same things people ate before there was modern dog food, and they were just as healthy as modern dogs. I heard the same thing from another vet recently as well.
    We've been feeding Rox regular dry dog food, an energy/nutritional supplement, and random people-food scraps for a year or so now, and she's been fine, very healthy except for the incessant shedding (which some vets say is normal year round, and others say is a missing diet element). I even cook up a scrambled egg just for her every now and then. Then there's also anything on the counter that she helps herself to, like a full box of Entenmann's cookies yesterday... Her pee has killed grass once and no other time, but it was when she was on medication, so I blame that...

On a side note, Steve, if you have to bring her to the vet for anything, get multiple quotes... When she cut her paw, we brought Rox down to the same vet that spayed her, and in the end it cost us about $900. My buddy came out with his fiance (she's a vets nurse, or whatever the term is if it isn't nurse) saturday night and she looked at the wound while she was there. She told us her vet would have done it for $150, given us a pile of bandages, and taught us how to change them... :mad: She actually just gave me a bottle of some spray stuff for her skin abrasion for $11, where my other vet wanted $45...

As for where he/she pees, have you tried walking him out there on a leash and keeping him in the spot you want him to pee until he goes (give him a treat when he does it, too), and punishing him when he goes where you don't want him to?

12. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

BTW, that's right about switching their food when you've had them on a consistent diet for a long time. You have to change brands gradually. Our beast can change brands quick now, but when we were first experimenting with brands, she'd have a bout of diarreah before we figured out we need to change gradually....

13. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

thanks for all the info guys-

I don't really get why I can't feed him scraps. He is over 6 years old (7 in september) and we have been giving him scraps since day 1. The only unhealthy time was when he had surguery. Other then that hes been fine.

I did some searching and found out that rawhide bones aren't very good for dogs-they give them lots of gas. No wonder he has been smelly lately.

BACk on topic...
    I'll try switching his food slowly with the left over stuff downstairs to see how he handles if. If I slowly add it in, he should be okay then, you say?

I will do more searching on feeding him scraps later. It will be hard to stop giving him any, hes gotten used to it.

Thanks

14. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

Scraps are ok if they are unseasoned meat (except for rotisseri chicken and pork products in general) and protien. Most of the food we eat is full of carbs and sugars which are not what a dogs body needs. Our food is full of so many chemicals that their digestive systems can't process. When is the last time you saw a dog chowing down on wheat or corn? You never do. They need protien which comes mainly from meat. Some veggies are OK, eggs are really good for them, but you need to make sure what your are feeding him is good for him and switch his food slowly.

Rawhides are the WORST thin gto give to a dog. My wife's vet hospital does 3 to 4 surgical removals of rawhides a month. You'd think people would learn. Most never do until they get a $3000 bill to remove it from their stomachs.

Oh yeah, newyorkin - Your dogs incessant shedding may be due to a food allergy. What is the first ingredient to her food? If it's grain (mainly wheat or corn) you may be causing her problem for her. Also, does she have smelly ears? You know, that really icky "dog" smell? If so, she definitely has a food allergy going on.

15. kgblazerfive

kgblazerfive keymaster Premium Member GMOTM Winner

A dog and a pellet gun has stopped my stray cat problem.

16. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

17. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

18. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

If You want Your dog to piss in another part of Your yard just grag some bitchdog and have it piss where You want Your dog to piss.

19. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I'll check... She's really smelly right now cause she's had a bandage on her foot for a month and we haven't been able to clean her. :haha:

Thanks for that info, I'll check out her food and see if that's it. That would be sweet if we could get her to stop shedding and if she's uncomfortable, be comfortable! :waytogo:

20. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

I think it is great to have so many animal lovers who actually take care of their pets.
    CK5 ROCKS!!!!!

Now go VOTE!!!