Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

peg board

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 84gmcjimmy, Aug 3, 2005.

1. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I think thats what its called. Its some kind of board with a bunch of holes in it. Then you stick metal hangers inside the holes to hang tools...anyone use it? The P.O. left some in the shop, and im not sure if I should keep it or not. Good/bad? Where do I get the metal hooks?

2. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

Home Depot, Lowe's, or any hardware store has a ton of different hangars for those boards. I never did like them though. Nothing like advertising your tools and making them easy for some mope to walk in and take them, or your kids to use them. If you are in a private spot though, no problems there.

3. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Just don't stick your tongue in the little holes once it's mounted. You'll be left hanging for weeks. :crazy:

4. Desert Rat

If he is that talented with his tongue, he is in the wrong line of work........ :whistle:

5. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

HIJACKERS! :haha:

Well its my shop, so only I would be in there. My mom might go in there with the lawnmower or looking for something when im not hope. Thats about it. And I'm working on bars on the windows for theft protection. Although I doubt anyone would break in...

I'll check out home hardware (canaidan home depot) for the accesories...
    thanks

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I had some...it stank..

I had a whole wall of pegboard in our house garage..I had all the tools hanging on the hooks,it was handy to have them all stored neatly--but I learned quickly if you do any hammering,or happen to "bump" the pegboard with something,the tools all fall off the hooks!..and the pegboard turned all green and moldy in no time,and fell apart(got too humid in there I guess)...it has its uses,but hanging fairly heavy tools on it isn't one of its better uses.. :crazy:

I agree about the "tools on display" can be tempting to theives--but its a lot easier for them to wheel your toolbox off in one quick haul,than to put all the "loose" tools in a box quietly to steal them...I learned having wheels on a toolbox can be a curse and a blessing..great for mobility,also great for the crook to steal it easier... :mad: :doah:

7. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

If I secure it to the wall, it shouldn't move though right? If the whole peg board is loose I can see the tools fallling off. But if the peg board is fastened to the wall securely, it shouldn't move unless something hits the wall hard, then the hooks might rattle?

8. Desert Rat

You have to fasten the pegboard to the wall with some space behind it to allow for the hooks to protrude slightly on the other side. The tools fall because many of the hooks don't upturn that much and so bumping the pegboard bounces the tool off the hook. Pegboard is also made of basically a composite of sawdust and glue so it doesn't usually last all that long in humid environments. I have a rollaway tool chest but I also have a steel post cemented into the garage floor not far away. A chain and lock prevents the chest from five finger discount shoppers.

9. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I'm playing on buying a rollaway soon, but also wanted the pegboard. I will see how much room I need after the rollaway

10. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

pegboards are good for hanging parts bags, belts, gaskets, etc..

11. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Don't forget ears and tongues. A nose ring hangs a nose very well.