Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

pellet/corn stove?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by four_by_ken, Jan 3, 2005.

1. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

Has anyone used one? Just curious about them. Would like to get some additional heat in the basement now that I have it kind of set up.

Wood stoves would cost me a fortune, because of the 15ft+ of class A pipe that I would need.

And I dont really want to add a gas fireplace or stove unless it comes down to that as a last option. The house is on propane.

Thanks

2. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

They work good and the pellets are cheaper than buying wood. Not sure what the difference in thevent pipes would be though:dunno:

Last edited: Jan 4, 2005
  3. four_by_ken

Well, the newer pellet/corn stoves dont require the triple wall class A pipe. Which is like $100 for 3ft... and I would need somewhere near 20ft of that pipe.

The pellet stoves use a much smaller diameter pipe, and can end just outside the house, dont need to run them to the rooftop.

4. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

i had heard of them stoves. heard they were real cool. :grin:

5. TWISTEDJACK

TWISTEDJACK 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

My parents have one and love it. The people that live down the road from them have one two, they ran the pipe just outside the house and the whole side of the house is discolored from the smoke. I recommend running it up above the roof line. They were told that they could just poke it out the outside wall too,
    but I would run the pipe up to the roof.

6. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Go with a waste oil stove if you're brave enough.;)

7. four_by_ken

For a garage or barn, I wouldnt hesitate... but, not in my house.

8. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

so what are the cons of having a waste oil stove?

9. four_by_ken

I dont know... but I am trying to find information on CORN stoves.

10. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

:p: well ill go get my own thread then!!! :haha: just figured could use a bump from my post anyway :)

11. LilWes278

LilWes278 Registered Member

Pellet stoves are great! Some friends of mine own 2 cabins up in the mountains, and they have pellet stoves in both of them. They use Lopi brand stoves, and they love them. Several other people have recommended Lopi stoves to me as well (I want a pellet stove for my house too). And even though my uncle owns a tree trimming business (which means I can get free firewood anytime I want), I still want a pellet stove because I am so impressed with how fast they can heat the house, and that my wife can add a scoop of pellets and turn it on anytime she wants instead of waiting for me to carry in firewood and build a fire.

12. four_by_ken

I would like to get one that can use both pellets and corn.

13. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

they heat up faster than a wood stove? and also whats the cost of these pellets and what are they made of?

14. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Yes they do. The pellets burn as hot as they're going to burn in a couple minutes, as opposed to a woodstove that might take 15-20 minutes to get a good-sized log fully involved.
    In my area (Philadelphia, PA area), a 1-ton pallet of bags of pellets is like $200. Prices are a bit inflated due to the price of heating oil being high - I was quoted $130 a pallet last year when I was real close to buying a pellet stove.
    The pellets are merely pressed sawdust and fine wood chips; squeeze one in your fingers, and you can crush it.

15. big_truxx

big_truxx 1/2 ton status

how many bags u think it would take to heat a place for the winter? or pallets lol

16. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

I was told that for my area, 1 pallet would be good for a full season of supplemental heat, assuming 8hrs/day burn time 7 days/week.
    I didn't ask about primary heat, but you can extrapolate from the above info, at least 3 pallets for a full season of primary heat. If your climate is colder than Philly, you'll obviously need more.
    Something to keep in mind: All the pellet stoves I looked at require electricity to operate. In fact, they'll automatically shut off in a power loss. I like the idea of having a good heat source that's not dependent on electricity to stay operational, so I ended up going with a wood stove. Taught the wife how to start a fire, and we're golden.