Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Pentagon Report links Katrina and Iraq trouble

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by cbbr, Oct 3, 2005.

1. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Well the S%!t will certainly hit the fan now. I really have no comment, I just know that this is all we will hear about for a week unless something else bad happensStories here[/URL] and here

Last edited: Oct 3, 2005
  2. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

That first link is to the skateboard/cat story...

Regarding the second one, no story of blame would be complete without a finger pointed at Bush in some way...

Actually, this kind of ticks me off. To say we had a shortage of available troops to handle the disaster because of the Iraq war is simply a non-opinionated statement (whether it's factual or not I'm skeptical, I had thought we had siginificant numbers of soldiers still here in the U.S.). Neither an endorsement or opponent of the war, just a fact that situation A resulted in result B.
    If situation A is legitimate and necessity, and we can assume it is since congress has the power to end or drastically change situation A and they haven't, then result B is not usable as a learning experience because situation A is a necessity.

No one should use a factual observation (if it is truly factual) to bolster an unrelated political argument, which I garauntee will happen. Cindy Sheehan or someone will say how "this illegal war is hurting the US when hurricanes happen!" These are the people who would be very happen to have soldiers knocking on a citizens door to collect their firearms. That ties in to a point I had originally disagreed with Bush on, but have now been kind of swayed to agree (although still on the fence).

The truth is, if the US was invaded by chinese troops in california and we had most of our military resources in the Pacific pushing China back, and Katrina or Rita hit then, the fact that troops were unavailable to help relief would be a non-issue. They were busy keeping the entire country alive.
    Iraq is simply a controversial war and the loudest voices against it seem to use any argument to boost their cause, no matter how inappropriate or illogical.

Was any of that coherent?

3. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I fixed the link - sorry about that. The fact is that someone was bound to tie these things together in an "official" report at some point. Now they have and it will be interesting to see what comes of it.

4. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

yeah, I agree...

5. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Gotta love how the BBC brought this story up before any American news did.....