Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

People are playing tricks with me.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by UseYourBlinker, Feb 6, 2001.

1. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

I started to search for a 12 bolt rear diff with ether 3.73 or 4.10 gears. I called a local pick your parts to see what they got. I get this guy on the phone and asked him if he had one, he told me that a 12 bolt won't work. I aksed him why, and he just said it wouldn't. But he did have a rebuilt 10 bolt with 3.73 for sale for $650 that he wanted to sell to me bad! Now my question is why did he say that? A 12 bolt just bolts in correct? I don't need to change driveshaft or U-Joints right?

<font color=blue> Taxes are Stealing</font color=blue>

2. SAVAGE1

SAVAGE1 1/2 ton status

Check the Pick N Pull in Oakland. I just went there on Sunday and they had 2 14 bolts. One out of a 73 3/4 ton and the other out of an 80, looks to be a 1 ton (spring perches set wider). Both were 2wd. The pricing sheet for parts lists rear ends at $69.99, I could be wrong but either way its probably no more than $150. I'd suggest going there and ripping it out yourself so you can also learn how to install it. They also have wheels and tires you can buy until you get a new set. The problem is the front end won't match. Just don't stick it in 4wd. Hope this helps.

Rod

BLAZER FOOD!!
    [​IMG]

3. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

That dude must have serious money problems, or maybe he's thinking of a 12bolt passenger.

<font color=blue>Professional <font color=red>JEEP EATER</font color=red> it's a population control thing.</font color=blue>[​IMG]

4. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

I don't wanna change the rims I have now. That's why I'm leaning towards a 12 bolt.

<font color=blue> Taxes are Stealing</font color=blue>

5. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

I've got an 83 with a 12bolt and a dana 44 front in 83 the Blazer come with a 10 bolt. whoever put the 12 in mine put a piece of metal on the spring pad about 1" inward i guess to line up with the springs. they welded them on to the pads. if it was me i would measure your pads and go fine a 12 bolt to see for your self, this would also go for the u joints. make sure you get the same gear ratio. hope this helpes somewhat

Drive it like you stole it !

6. k5king

k5king 1/2 ton status

if you are going to swap a 10 bolt for a 12 bolt then you WILL need to change the u-joint at the rear of your driveshaft,,,they make special u-joint's for this application,,i know that napa has them......
    it will need to be a u-joint for a ten bolt on the shaft itself,,,the end that bolt's to the rear will have to be for a 12 bolt,,,they cost like $25.00 or so,,,cheaper than rebuilding the shaft itself!!
    i'd say just call back and ask for a 12 bolt from a pick-up,,,don't offer them any info as to what you are doing,,,then they will not know if you "really" need or want the unit,,,if they got one ,,just tell them you wanna take a look at it to see if it is gonna work for you,,,,,take along some wrenches and pull the cover,,then you can see if the gears are screwed up or not,,plus you can count the teeth and see which ratio it is...
    try not to seem interested in it too much if you want it,,,,,i know that 12 bolt's around here are anywhere from $150-$200 in good condition with the original posi unit,,,,an added locker is kinda worth a little more but not too much.....
    good luck

ANYBODY LOSE THEIR JEEP????????[​IMG]
    I JUST FOUND ONE UNDER MY BLAZER!!!![​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

7. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

$650.00 is HIGH price!!! Sure, a 12 bolt bolts right in place of a 10 bolt, as long as the 12 bolt is from a 73 on up. The spring perches are different on the 72 and older trucks. The shock mounts are even different on the 72 and older. I have seen MANY 12 bolts for any price under $250.00. I dont think you will need to change the u-joint, but only way to check is, get the driveshaft next to the yoke on the replacement rearend you want to install and compare the size. I have swapped many 12's for 10's and the shaft fit right in place of the old one. Maybe the parts guy said he wanted to sell the 10 bolt to you real bad because he found out it was stolen! So, he wants to get rid of it before getting in trouble.

8. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

How are the 72 and back springs perches different?

1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI

9. TheBlazerKid

TheBlazerKid 1/2 ton status

72 and earlier are 40" springs pad centers-same as 1-tons
    73 and later are 43.5" spring pad centers-same as 3/4 tons

I found this out when i was looking for a 14 bolt for my 71 but ti turned out good in teh end cause i got a rear 14 bolt with the right spring pad width and a front dana 60 from teh same rig!

Theres No Replacement for Cubic Inches!

10. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

I had a '73 12 bolt in my '83 for a while. Yes, the joint was different. I think the newer style joint is refered to as a 3RL. We later put this rear end under our '89 Sub, and had to use a conversion joint again.

We also discovered that '73+ one ton rears fit on '72- trucks after relocating the shock mounts. My brother bought a 3/4 ton 14 bolt w/ 4.10s for his '70 K5. My buddy bought a 1 ton 14 bolt w/ 4.10s for his '77 Dodge. I was going to relocate the spring perches for both of them, then got out the tapemeasure. They traded rear ends and bolted them in. Incidentally, Chevy fronts fit Dodge's fairly well too.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), Dana 60/14 bolt, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

11. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

If you buy a 12 bolt and the yoke is the small version, then just put you 10 bolt yoke on the 12bolt and you have to buy a new seal. I belive you just use the 10 bolt also.

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; <A target="_blank" HREF=http://emmett.coloradok5.com>http://emmett.coloradok5.com</A>