Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

People are strange

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by 4by4bygod, Mar 3, 2007.

1. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

So I'm in line at the grocery checkout this AM, buying the beer for dad's suprise 70th b- day party tommorrow..

The little old lady in front of me is taking forever to check out, and I notice that she's only got a finite amount of money with her, so she keeps having the cashier ring in or take off items until she gets the most stuff for her fifty buck limit..

She finally gets every item she wants for under the limit, ( after factoring coupons and taxes) except one.. a package of chocolate eggs.. they cost a BUCK... I'm watching this poor lady dig through her purse for some change, and she's about 40 cents short..

I ask " how much more do you need"? she ignores me.. I ask the cashier, and she says "under a buck".. so, I pull out a handful of quarters I have, count out four, and hand them to the lady, and say " here maam, no reason you can't have your chocolate eggs".. the lady looks at me ( finally) like I'm from another planet.. and she turns me down flat.. wouldn't take it.. she bagged her groceries, thanked me for my offer, and went on her way..

I understand pride and all that, but come on...it was a BUCK..hell, when someone wants to do something nice for me, I'm all over it.. maybe I'm the weirdo, and she was the normal one, who knows..:crazy:

2. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

To me using coupons and having a line of people watch me have the cashier take things off would hurt my pride more than 40 cents.........

3. Stickseler

Stickseler 3/4 ton status

True, but in todays world just because its the norm dosent mean its right. I actually got a comment the other day about my kids behavior in school. She noted that he was the only kid in her class that would hold open the door for an adult and whenever she had students hold open the door for her class....he was the only one that said thank you.

Might not be normal....but at least its right

4. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

My take on this:

Being an E.M.T. in S. Cal. with lots of old people (75+Y.O.) I got to know alot of them.
    One thing I learned was that people who are old enough to have lived though the Great Depression were profoundly affected by it.

That lady you described sounds like one of them. I would bet she or other members of her family spent alot of time asking for handouts (Just a W.A.G.).

There are people who don't throw ANYTHING away.
    There are people who lived ONLY off SS, and when they died, it's found out that they willed their entire estate (five million dollars-ten million dollars) to their favorite charity or college alumni. Because they saved and saved preparing for the next Great Depression.

I'm not saying it's always the case, but The Great Depression lasted approx. eleven years and it really, really affected peoples lives.

5. kgillyk5

kgillyk5 1/2 ton status

X2...thats exactly what I thought of too. I'm only 39 but my parent are 75 and 81. I was brought up real old school in the 70's as far as $$$ was concerned. We had jack and my parents never used credit, period. Got most of our tv's or cars from some relative dying and getting there old junk. If they needed a new car they would save till they had the money and buy the cheapest/economical **** box on the market. Saved pieces of string to short to use...etc. Funny thing is they started investing when I was a kid and made out really good but it never affected their life style.

When my dad comes out to our house to do carpentry work my wife dies laughing after he leaves. He brings his bag lunch and when he is done he folds up his little paper bag and sticks it in his shirt somewhere to reuse again and again. He cant believe we pay for drinking water...and on and on. He's a funny old guy but we love him.

6. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Hats off to the WWII Generation!

7. dogdaysunrise

dogdaysunrise 1/2 ton status

Does he have a bag or box full of slightly bent nails that are still good? Cause my ex's grandfather was the same way. He would never throw anything away. Doing any repair work with him was an ordeal, you had to send him on a holiday to work on something for him. He would pull out the worst 40 year old nails and every screw he had was a slot.

8. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

My grandma was the same way. Wouldn't take anything from anyone. I asked her why one time and she said cause the person offering is going to need that someday and shes not gonna be the one to make someone else suffer. She was a wonderful person.

9. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I'd have just told the ol bag to hurry up and get outta the way...

10. chalet2506

chalet2506 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I was over at Grandma's before she died(she'd be about 94 now) and was helping her get something out of her deep freeze. I found a bag of blackberries dated 1974! I pulled them out and said "Do you want me to get these out" and she responded "Oh, no. I'm saving those." as serious as you could be. So I put them back so she'd have them when she needed them. She'd been saving them for 30+ years at the time. She passed on, and I bet you money Grandpa still has them.

11. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

that's when you say, "well fine, get your ass out of the way then."

:grin:

I never say anything like that to people in line, but when someone is ****ing around at the register in a store it drives me batty. Does no one have consideration for others anymore? Screw everyone in line... I need to dig through the purse, or spend 10 minutes writing and rewriting a check etc etc. Drives me nuts. When ya get up there, have your **** ready to roll... get it, and go. We already spend enough of our short lives waiting in line... people who are intentionally (by their lack of preperation) dicks about this annoy me.

j

12. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

X a million... beer would have been warm when I left the store. ;)

13. mxfireman

mxfireman 1/2 ton status

Where at?

Sorry about the HiJack!

14. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

I agree with you 100%.

However, what's kept me from getting pissed off is remembering the times when I had H.U.A. and being thankful those people behind me didn't show their impatience with me.

Also, it doesn't accomplish anything except raising your BP.

15. kgillyk5

kgillyk5 1/2 ton status

:haha::haha::haha::haha:...Man, I don't burst out laughing much but that's F'ing hysterical,...the bad part is I think I inherited their pack rat mantality. When I was a kid and needed hardware for some project my dad would show me how to lay down a newspaper on the bench and dump out the can of slightly used fasteners, stripped out nuts and bolts, wood screws with hardened filler where the screw driver goes...bent nails, and I wonder where my anxiety and OCD comes from...thanks dad.:rolleyes::D:D:D

16. greythorn3

greythorn3 1/2 ton status

used nails

I use used nails all the time, and pallets to make stuff.. nothing wrong with that.. i would rather use the nails i have laying in old lumber then have them stuck in my tire later. besides a 20 year old nail is as good as a 20 day old one..

Ray

17. garlicbreath

garlicbreath 1/2 ton status

Um, you so missed a chance to hook up the old guy with an old lady.