Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

People in Cold Climates

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Hossbaby50, Oct 4, 2005.

1. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I have some questions for you. I am going to be heading to Minot, North Dakota this winter for work and I need to know what you recommend for the cold weather. I bought a set of insulated Carhartt overalls and I have a Carhartt vest and jackets. What else should I look into before I leave to the fridged North. I know I will need thermal underwear and good socks. I have some decent boots to wear but I want to know what you recommend for the cold. I really like Carhartt clothes so if you have opinions on which ones I should buy please let me know.

Harley

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

A woman too keep the bed warm on those cold nights.

3. outlawtorn

outlawtorn 1/2 ton status

Well i use to live about 50 miles east of minot in Stanley ND, and i visit every christmas, and all i can say is carhartts, full beard, long hair and some nice boots :wink1:

4. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Most anything Carharrt works excellent so long as it's the heavy duty stuff with the thick denim/canvas outer. The problem with most parts of ND is that it's not only cold, the wind will blow you away. Half of my relatives live up there and I've spent many days working outside in the dead of winter. Anything to cut the wind on any part of your body is welcome. Good thick gloves that go up your sleeves are also a must. I've worn the wrist style gloves and come back into the house with a ring of frostbite before. A good cap that covers your ears is also neccessary if you're working outside for extended periods. If possible, it's nice to be able to cover your face as well.

It really depends on the type of work you're doing though...can you be more specific about it? What you'll need in terms of mobility, finger movement, how often you'll get a warm break...etc? I tend to overestimate since I'm used to stand hunting where you sit immobile for hours but I'd rather be able to strip layers than not have them in the first place. Don't get me wrong, a lot of days it can be downright pleasant, but when it's overcast and the wind picks up, it'll chill you to the bone.

5. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

On boots.... if you don't NEED steel toes, don't get steel toes... they make winter a living HELL in the cold. Unless they are insulated to the teeth and still steel toed, you'll be freezing.

On warm clothes, layers are your friend. One day it could start out at -5 degrees, get up to 20 by 10am, by 2pm it's near 40, then drops like a rock back into the low teens before nightfall. Being able to remove some of the heavier stuff is a life saver.

Oh yeah, if you've never worked in cold weather before, go to R.E.I. or other camping supply store, buy a 3 liter or larger dromedary bag (camel pack style) and carry it with you everywhere. Sun stroke, dehydration, and heat stroke are NOT just summer sports. =) Guaranteed you will die just as fast from dehydration up here in the cold in your warm clothes pounding nails (or whatever) as you would if you were in the south sweating on the chain gang without a shirt on..

6. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

When it gets to -40F or below here, all I wear is a hoodie with a leather jacket, and a balaclava (or however its spelt), with a thick materialed hood overtop.

Basically, the hoodie, and the balaclava act as an insulator, while the leather and heavy hood act as a wind breaker. The wind is what makes the winter so very cold up here, windchill can make a -20 day a -40 or below day.

For pants, I wear a pair of sweats with a pair of loose jeans overtop, and a set of heavy winter boots rated for at least -40. For gloves, I typically wear a set of thin gloves, in a pair of thick leather mittens.

IDressed like that, I can be outside for hours in weather thats cold enough that your spit bounces then skitters across the ice :P

7. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

you're on the right track.. full on carhartt suit is purdy good. I have some full insulated Danner boots that are tits in cold weather too.

j

8. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I am an HVAC sheetmetal installer so I work on constructions sites. I am going to Minot to build a new Super Walmart. I will be working on the roof for 1-2 weeks. After that I will be working inside a semi-finished building that will not be heated for the first 2 months or so. I will definilty wear gloves but I need dexterity and I need some mobility because I am going to be working on lifts and ladders with a toolbelt.

I am supposed to wear steel toe boots on the jobsite but I never do.

Harley

9. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

If you have too wear steel toe boots, wear multible layers of wool socks.

10. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Well, then the windbreaking advice for sure for the roof. If you're inside the building after that you can worry a lot less since that takes the wind outta the equation. I'd say a thin under layer and the carhart stuff will do you right once youre inside. If you need dexterity, like Phoenix said, layers are your friend. If it's not a big deal not to wear steel toes, don't. If it is, wool socks are your best friend.

11. outlawtorn

outlawtorn 1/2 ton status

My oldest brother has his on construction company up there and he wears carhartts, steel toe boots, wool socks, longjohns, regular pants, stocking cap, long sleeve shirt, leather gloves and a hoody. One thing he says helps is growing a good beard lol... he started to grow his last week and wont shave until spring he claims :haha:

12. odoa3

odoa3 1/2 ton status

Carhart Extreme's are great. They shed water better than the orginal and also cut the wind better. Think about a windstopper fleece as a under layer, and perhaps a wicking layer under that. Sweat cooling against your skin will keep you cold and nothing will warm you up. Some kind of stocking hat or liner under your helmet would help as well. Wool will help you keep warm even when it is wet, in case it rains. Cotton is not your friend. Once it gets wet it stays wet and keeps you cold. As for socks I use Sealskins- they are fleece lined neoprehne (sp). Good stuff.