Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

People running 14 bolt SF...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 89GMCSuburban, Dec 5, 2002.

1. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Have any of you actually broken the thing? I haven't heard of anyone doing it...at least not here.

2. Scooter

Scooter 1/2 ton status

Been running mine for a little over 14 months. So far so good, no problems to report with it at all! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. 85HeartBurb

85HeartBurb 1/2 ton status

babyblue lost an axle shaft in one a while back.. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

4. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

There is one in my DD truck. But my friend that I bought the truck off of used to wheel this thing. Never any problems!

5. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

TB - Did the shaft break? If so where and how?

6. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

The shaft didn't break. He broke the center pin! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Those things are friggen huge on a 14sf! It broke on him a day or 2 after we did a trail called rockhouse canyon. I rotated the axle tube on my 12 bolt on that trail. When it broke the c-clip came off and he almost lost the axle going around a corner (tire was sticking out like 2ft). That was a open diff and he was running a D60 in the front.

He had another 14sf with a detroit and disc brakes on it and never had problems with it (the 10-bolt front was another story).

When I saw it after he broke it I really liked the design of the axles. They are tapered getting bigger on the outside and had some good size splines....I guess the stock carrier just sucks.

7. 85HeartBurb

85HeartBurb 1/2 ton status

thanx for clearing that up dan could not remember the whole story but I knew somthing broke! /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

8. chvyhs

chvyhs 1/2 ton status

I had my SF in for a couple of months with 38" TSL Radials. The only reason I switched it with the FF was because the Detroit locker was easier and cheaper to put in.

9. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

Someone posted how they broke their 14SF from a new truck. It was covered by the warranty. Apparently he was pulling someone out of a snow drift spinning on the snow, then it dug up the snow and got traction on the pavement. The shaft broke where it tapers down to the splines at the carrier.

I haven't had a problem with mine - yet. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
    I have had mine for four or five years.

10. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

my sub is my DD/mudder and i've actually jumped it 3 times (only 1 was intentional /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif) and never have i had a problem with it, no broken parts at all. oh and it's got about 157k on it too. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

11. 79Jimmy

79Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I've had mine in for over a year now with zero problems /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Buy the way it's 6 lug conv. with a Detroit and disc brakes and 35s.

James

12. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

i'd like to mod mine up but with FFs goin at $75 here in vegas i can't pass it up.

13. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

Equal in strength to a sfD60. Not bad stuff. Lockers are like 550 and gears need to be reset. Deal breaker for me.

14. Highjaxx

Highjaxx 1/2 ton status

I got mine put in about 5 months ago, no problems. I like having a full width axle without spacers. And being able to put an ARB in the future. Ground Clearance is nice too. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif