Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

People that have pulled or installed factory oil coolers...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dyeager535, Jul 28, 2003.

1. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Do any of you remember an actual paper or whatever gasket between the oil cooler adapter (the piece that the two cooler lines thread into) and the engine block?

As I understand it, the "stock" setup (just the adpater that bolts to the block that the filter spins on) does not use any sort of gasket. However, last night, looking up the o-ring for the oil filter adapter for the cooler setup, I noticed that there is also a *gasket* for the adapter listed. It's there on the 4.3 w/oil cooler too, so I doubt it's a mis-print.

I'm pretty sure when I installed my setup thats on the truck now there was no gasket in place, but I can't be positive, since I thought the o-ring was all that was necessary. Didn't appear to hurt anything at the time, oil pressure stayed the same, no worse engine problems than before wither. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

According to GMpartsdirect.com, neither the gasket nor seal is available, (o-ring was at the dealers less than 3 years ago) although both should be easy to come by/make.

2. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

there's nothing but the O-ring there

3. dyeager535

The few times I need an earlier parts manual seem to be getting more often. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Wonder if it's a year difference or something. The part number is one of the shorter "older" ones for that gasket. (like 6 vs 8 digits) If a dealer has one cheap, I may buy it just to see what the heck it is. Have a feeling it and the o-ring have both been disco'ed though. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

4. kustom71

kustom71 1/2 ton status

i just bought a perma-cool install kit and it comes with o-rings no gaskets.
    hope that helps

5. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

All the GM oil coolers that I have seen had a viton o-ring as the seal between the adapter to block. You could make your own gasket if one is not available . Just go to a industrial parts supply house and tell them what you are doing and they should be able to suggest a few different levels of gasket material to use .HTH , Tom

6. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

oil cooler filter adapter uses both a paper gasket and an oil ring....don't know about it being disco as i bought one last week...gm pn# 88893990 $4.06

DW

7. dyeager535

They may have updated the numbers then...the o-ring was a 155xxxxx number and the gasket was a 3xxxxx number from my '85-86 manual IIRC.

If you bought one last week, they must still be available, or your dealer just had a leftover. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

What is that 88893990 number? GMpartsdirect shows it as a kit, is it both of them? I see your dealer got their 50% off of you though. "OUR PRICE: $2.03" /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

It's not a lot of money, but knowing the GM dealer will stick it to you any time they can isn't heartening. This is why I don't deal with the local dealer. I know what they pay for it, yet they won't sell me anything for less than double what they get it for, even on potential $500 purchases.

8. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

The bad thing about those part number books is they don't super any numbers or cross them from GM to delco...as generally delco numbered parts are the cheaper of the two..and i have those books along with some cross books and part number schedule price books..along with my personal fav...the standard parts catalog.

The gaskets come as a kit...and that was the number printed on my reciept..didn't have the gumption to go back down the stairs...

Don't like gm parts direct as they put to ya in the shipping department...

DW

9. dyeager535

Appreciate the info. I'll see about picking one of those up. It seems odd, since I picked up a seperate o-ring not that long ago. Both should probably replaced at the same time anyway, so it makes sense.

Of course, I paid likie $1.50 back then from the dealer, so now at $5 or so, they are making a heck of a lot more money off of us. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Anyone else reading this, if you need o-rings, do yourself a favor and stay the hell away from the dealer. some of the o-rings I need for the injection setup are about $7 (some come in packs, some individual) yet all are available locally for about $.50/each. Just in this case, I need that seal too.

10. BigBadJap

BigBadJap Registered Member

Hi. I just pulled my oil cooler - no gaskets on either end of the lines.

On a quasi related topic, has anybody replaced their factory oil cooler with a B&M 70266* SuperCooler 28,000 GVW 11"x8"x1-1/2"? It says it can be used as an engine oil cooler and only costs $100 CDN

(My oil cooler is toast, and the replacement from GM is $381 CDN). These oil coolers appear to be very rare; at least in Alberta. I've called 20 different wreckers and the majority have NO idea what I'm even talking about.

11. dyeager535

I think we are talking about different things. I'm talking about the seals for the aluminum piece that is bolted to the block...your talking about the actual cooling line ends aren't you?

Anyways, the '89 style is much different than the earlier ones as I recall. Are the newer C/K trucks ('88+) the same by any chance? Might also check out old ('91 or so +) Police Caprice cop cars...they had engine oil coolers, and they aren't exactly like the 73-87 style coolers either. Not sure if they are the SAME, but maybe similar.

If you can make an aftermarket cooler work, that's what I'd do for sure, with that kind of difference in cost.

12. BigBadJap

Sorry, my bad. I'll do some more hunting around about that B&M tranny/engine oil cooler. (The B&M Cooler doesn't rate for GPM or horsepower like perma-cool does) I thought it would look cool to have two of those coolers sitting side by side.

13. Sidepipes

Sidepipes 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Are the newer C/K trucks ('88+) the same by any chance?

[/ QUOTE ]

My 90 Z71 had the oil cooler integral to the radiator. I would assume all 88+ C/K truck would be the same

14. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    has anybody replaced their factory oil cooler with a B&M 70266* SuperCooler 28,000 GVW 11"x8"x1-1/2"?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Take a close look at the side brackets on the oil cooler that you have now. Most likely you'll find the name "Long" embossed on it somewhere. They made the factory external coolers for GM. It just so happens that they also make the Supercooler line for B&M. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Plus, Long is based in Canada, so it should be easy for you to find their sutff up there. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I'd think that heavy duty cooling systems aren't ordered very often in Canada. That part of the world is more likely to order the heavy duty heater option. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif So that would account for it being rather rare in junkyards.

15. HarryH3

[ QUOTE ]
    My 90 Z71 had the oil cooler integral to the radiator. I would assume all 88+ C/K truck would be the same

[/ QUOTE ]
    I was just looking at the factory service manual for our '94 Sub a couple of weeks ago. It shows that both an external oil cooler and tranny cooler were available with the heavy duty cooling package. Ours has both coolers in the radiator, so I guess that was what they installed with the "heavy duty trailer package". Or perhaps the external coolers were only available on trucks with higher GVWR's.

16. BigBadJap

I wish I could agree with you about the cold temperatures, but the past three weeks here have averaged over 93*F. We've had many days over a 100 which is not helping the forest fire situation in my home town (INSERT COOL TEMPERATURES HERE). /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Anyway... would it be detrimental for me to remove the entire auxillary engine oil cooling system? (Basically just remove the oil filter adapter and the lines) This auxillary one is the only engine oil cooling device on the truck; no engine oil lines run into the radiator, just tranny fluid.

17. dyeager535

No, more than probably 75% of the vehicles out there (or just 73-87 CK trucks if you please)don't use engine oil coolers, so it's not a big deal.

I put it on there since it was free essentially, and the cooling of the oil shouldn't hurt much, except MAYBE slightly economy, since the oil may be thicker than it "needs" to be.

Would be interesting to do a before/after test of the oil cooler and engine oil test. I've tried coasting (in neutral) downhill to see if the pressure comes back up from being cooled, but haven't found a hill long enough to make that possible.

18. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

I was thinking about this thread and I was wondering what about the oil filter relocation systems GM used? They were on just about every single 4.3L 4x4 S-series ever made. I don't know what they use to seal but it's just an idea.

19. HarryH3

I've had to replace the lines on that setup on my '91 S-Jimmy, due to massive oil leaks from them. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif It has seals at the engine-to-adapter interface, as well as o-rings at each end of the lines. But alas, GM seems to have a severe quality problem with the maker of the lines, as the new ones started weeping at the metal-to-rubber hose fittings about a year after the swap. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

The lines on our '94 Suburban leak at the same spots, but I refuse to give GM any more of my money for inferior replacement parts. I found a local hydraulic shop that will cut out the flex hoses and replace them with new ones (that won't leak! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif ) for $30. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

20. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

I am apt to error...but this i have learned...
    73 to 87 C/K...89-91 R/V series trucks oil coolers themselves are the same...73-74 brackets to mount the cooler are diff as they are the first design...really rare...Grant's buddy in Yuma has a set...75 to 80 brackets are diff than the 73 to 74 but both can be used butthey mount in diff locations...81 up cooler brackets mount the same but are shorter due to the change in the front radiator support in 81...

I have the part numbers and installation diagrams for the 81 up from gm...

What i don't know is when they went from an o ring to seal the lines at either end...ie: saginaw fittings...then some years...which i assume are the 73-80 are sealed via a inverted flare...3/4 by 18...

Also..back in the day..73-80..regardless of weight the coolers were an option...81 up choices went away and they became standard equipt with higher GVW'S...also in the late 80's....a optional cooling fan (electric was an option and generally seen on 3/4 burbs with the big block....and believe it or not gm also made optional aux trans coolers...i've missed one or two on ebay this year...but i still have one i got from ebay last yearthat was advertised as a 73 up when in fact it is a nos 67-72 kit...complete with the diagrams and all...and since i am a stickler i refuse to use it on my trux as it just wouldn't be right...so if anyone needs a nos cooler for a Gen1 i got one for sale...also i have two lines for an 88 up C/K takin up space...brandy new gm.

DW