Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

People that no so little about engines...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by sled_dog, Apr 29, 2005.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I am continually amazed in my schooling by people who know nothing about engines. I got hints of this in my business course when I'd ask specifics about motor plans people had. But now that we are really discussing how a motor works(basic stuff) people raise their hands and ask idiotic questions. Now I understand not everyone is like me and studies this stuff for fun but I am talking about people that claim their Mustang or Honda is gonna run an 11. Wow you are gonna build that much horsepower and have no clue how it got there? I was the only person in the classroom that knew there are 2 reasons the camshaft on a flat tappet has an angle to it(to keep the cam from walking and to spin the lifters as they do their thing). The teacher didn't call on me because he said he knew I knew the answer. Another kid came up with it after a while.

Eh, maybe I'm thinking too much about this stuff. These kids are here to learn(though many of their capacities for learning seem impaired), I just figured some of the people at a school like Wyotech would have a clue about what they are talking about.

There is some 29 year old that he and I talk back and forth about the different SBC incarnations and how what we are learning applies to them. I teach him stuff(mostly about the older stuff) and he teaches me about the newer stuff. However I just printed a bunch of crap about the ZR1 DOHC 350 from the 90-95 Vettes. He had no knowledge of it.

Am I just a dick to think that these people should know more than they do? Sorry if I offend anyone. I can be kind of "know it all" at times, but I try my best to control that. I love engines, they are one of the few things in life, you start talking about them to me and I instantly perk up. I'm usually dissappointed. "I'm puting a stage 2 cam in my Honda" **Cool, what duration does that have?** "Duration?" **sigh**

2. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

Nah, don't feel bad... most Sport Compact drivers know absolutely nothing about cars in general... 90% of the time they can barely change their own oil. I used to be one of those guys... then I blew the engine in my Nissan and started learning about what I wanted to put in it. Granted, I had it rebuilt as close to stock as possible to save money, but I learned a lot only after ruining it. Tell those guys with the "Stage 2 cam" in their Honda to go redline their rice rocket for a couple miles, blow the crap out of their engine, and then they can learn about them.

I of course always knew how to change my own oil... sometimes its just easier to let someone else do it due to time constraints. Honestly, I wish I had learned about all this stuff about 10 years ago... then instead of buying a Nissan I would have bought a truck or older performance car... at the time, I was just interested in good mileage since I would be driving it to North Carolina within a week of its purchase. Its truly amazing what you can learn when you have to... and what seems so difficult to learn when you just want to.

The guys in your class are morons... so you have 2 choices... you can either live with it, and graduate at the top of the class, or help them out with their idiocy... teach them some of the stuff you know... ask the teacher to call on you more often, because hearing a right answer the first time, rather than 3 wrong answers first... it always the best way to learn anything. If I was sitting in a class, and the teach asked what duration means, I'd want to hear the correct answer right away rather than hearing 4-5 people blabber on about what they think is the right answer... even if I know it's wrong, its confusing to hear all that crap to begin with.

3. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

I can be classed as a moron too. I never was taught much of anything about motors... or more properly phrased, internal combustion engines... besides the basics, and even I had to just tear down and examine for myself to figure out "this is how it works".

Slowly over years of tearing stuff down and examining parts and using logic and common sense... I think I've figured most of it out. Now I just need to learn clearances and tolerances and stuff like that. Now when it comes to anything that's not a pre-computerized Chevy V8... I'm even worse than a moron. :crazy:

4. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I know a little about the ZR-1 , it was made for GM by Mercury Marine , and Lotus wa sin on the Design , and had nothing to do with small block Chevy architecture :D

5. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

Don't you mean "know so little", smarty pants? :rotfl: :rotfl:

I'm pretty ignorant when it comes down to how everything works together inside an engine. I know the basics and that's good enough for me.

You know what pisses me off, Allan? Guys who don't know how to fuse a 42mm x 15mm sidewinder tee onto a pre-1978 orange PE main. I also hate it when I see a guy struggling with a 1804 relief on a 624 regulator- I mean, I can rip the suckers apart and rebuild them in about 15 minutes......

But do you want to know my main pet peeve in life? Young guys who have NO IDEA HOW TO RUN A SHOVEL!!!!!!! I've worked with some pretty smart summer students who had no clue how to use proper body mechanics to move dirt. It doesn't help that a large majority of them thought they were too good to do my kind of work.

Without trying to sound like your dad, please remember that there are about 10,000 occupations out there that you know NOTHING about.

6. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Hey! I admit it I dont know how to run a shovel.
    I have never in my whole life been able to find a shovel that fits my hand.

First off they just dont make left handed shovles.
    My hands just dont seem to fit the handle right.
    My feet dont fit on the bottom part of the shovel, they just slide right off.
    I just dont seem to be smart enough to figgure out how to use one.
    So I just leave the shovel work to people who are a lot smarter about those things than I am.
    But i did find a job I could do......I tell those people where to dig. :grin:

But back to all the people who dont know anything about engines even tho they are inrolled in a tech school.
    I think one of the problems is there is very little emphisis on vocational education in high school. And what little there is doesn't teach you much.
    When I was in High School all the guys took Auto shop. We learned how engines and cars worked. We had to trouble shoot cars rebuild engines, trannys, ECT for our grades. We worked on peoples cars to pay for our feild trips and a end of the school party.
    I learned how to weld good in high school too. We went to local and state competition in both welding and trouble shooting engines. Shop Classes were something just about all the guys and some of the gals took.
    Now days it seems hardly any guys take shop classes. Most schools dont put much money in vocational Ed any more. All High school is anymore is College prep. Not Life prep.
    High school used to turn out students that had the skills needed to enter the work force and make a living.
    Now they turn out kids that cant even read a tape measurer or Run A Shovel :grin:
    Kids are so full of self esteem and college prep classes. They think they dont need to learn basic skills. And are too smart to be bothered with them. They are all going to be making 6 figures when they graduate from college :haha:
    So its no wonder there are so many young people who dont have the first clue on how an engine operates or even how to do even the simplest maint. chores on it.

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

:o I was reading through the lounge and spotted my own post... I was like, WHY THE **** DID I WRITE, NO???????

Yeah well Cancan, here is the thing. You aren't surrounded by kids at a shoveling school, talking about how awesome their shovel is and how great they can shovel, then when it gets down and dirty, they can't even figure which end of the shovel to use.

I'm smart enough to know I don't know it all. I've learned a lot since I've been here. I'm loving it. It just bores and annoys me when the teacher explains something as simple as a standard in block camshaft(like in a small block, cam, lifter, pushrod, rockers, valves, valve springs) and kids can't grasp the idea that the cam pushes the lifter, the lifter pushes the pushrod, the pushrod pushes the rocker, the rocker pushes the valve down. So I take some time and try to help the ones who I consider friends.

Oh and most of the kids in my class think they are going to go on and start their own performance shops. I'm saying that the same kids who can't understand why in the hell a hydraulic lifter has a spring in it, think they will be building 1000HP $$$ cars for people. I'm realistic, I'll likely be a grease monkey for a few years and who knows, maybe just a Master Tech the rest of my life.

8. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

I'm with you on this - seeing these people who know NOTHING about their cars and don't care. Rice boys really make me laugh with their "Ive gota K&N, a 'Tornado', purple spark plug wires, and a coffee can for a muffler - I'm faster than you and know more about cars than you!" attitude.

I took an advanced engines class in High school from a teacher who really REALLY knew his stuff. By the end of that class everyone in that class was able to build a SBC from the crank up thanks to him. The only thing I've lacked since then and now (10 years) is the money and space to do it all myself. I suppose I could have went and became a Mechanic but I just didn't want to work on other peoples cars all day. I'd like to think I know alot about it, but the reality of it is I just havn't experienced enough engine rebuilding to call myself more than "knowledgable and able"

At any rate, thats' my $.02 :xmas:

9. OrangeCrushK10

OrangeCrushK10 1/2 ton status

HEY HEY HEY! There's nothing wrong with all the ricers and idiots out there that don't know how to change their oil!

After all, if it wasn't for them I wouldn't have a job right now! :D :D :D

If you think it's bad now, just wait until you start working. I get people all the time that come in needing new engines. I tear into it and find about an inch of nasty black sludge on the bottom on the oil pan. I tell them that they need to change the oil regularly in the new engine and it will void the waranty if they don't. You know what they ALL say? "Oh, I ALWAYS change the oil in my car!"

I just wanna smack the crap out of those people, tell them not to lie to me, then show them the sludge and say "See this? This is why your engine blew and this is caused by not changing your oil!"

You're gonna have to learn a lot of patience to work this job. People are stupid. Especially about cars. But hey, they end up coming to you in the end and paying you to fix their cars when simple maintenance would have prevented the problem.

So, when I'm driving down the highway and see some ricer redlining it with a three foot wing and a NOS sticker, I smile. I know he'll be paying me to replace that engine in a couple months. :D

10. Can Can

And your point is? You're not one of those people who think they're better than a guy in the ditch, are you? If so, I'd have to say you're not the man I thought you were.......

11. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

It's all right to have pride, even if rude, in what you do know, as long as you can admit what you don't know.

Personally, I'm scared of my engines. I just pray they keep running.

12. Resurrection_Joe

Can Can beat me 3 out of 5 Master Shovel VS Odachi

13. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

That probably includes me. I know nothing about engines, and until I can rebuild an engine of my own to learn how everything works, and all the technical stuff involved in it.., I will just read books trying to grasp the info.

14. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I know I respect the man in the ditch. I've dug one foundation in my life, that alone was so much more work and knowledge than I ever anticipated. And that was a fairly laxed foundation job.

15. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Thats about the best you can do stave. A couple of the guys here went and got a $25 engine at a junkyard to tear apart and learn from. Wasn't a bad idea at all. I've been around this stuff for so long I've picked up a lot then it interested me so I went and learned. I had the engine experience before I learned what it all meant so that really helped me. I forget how lucky I am to have the father I do. I wouldn't know 90% of what I do or enjoy it nearly as much if it weren't for him.

I can't wait till we get into EMS II, its going to be almost totally stuff I have no clue about :D I WANT TO LEARN!

16. Can Can

I like your new sig line, RJ. It looks like you have your focus back. I'm glad for that.

Allan, moving dirt DOES take alot of skill. BTW, I wasn't looking for props, but I'm glad to hear that you appreciate that parts of my job can ne tougher than they appear on the surface.

17. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

yeah thats what I will probably do...get a cheap long block and rebuild it. Other wise just get a engine of any sort that interests me, and tear it apart.

What is EMS II?

18. Resurrection_Joe

I got really excited about timelines that's all

19. Resurrection_Joe

Extra Manly Science II

Blowing stuff up, setting fires, making napalm, sewing your own arm back on, etc.

20. OrangeCrushK10

OrangeCrushK10 1/2 ton status

Engine Management Software?

Just a random guess.