Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

people w/ shackle flips install??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Bhintz, Jul 18, 2004.

1. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

trying to install echobit flip and cant for the life of me get the bolt out that holds the shackle to the hanger, how did you guys do it compress the spring, let it sag all the way, unbolt the spring then do the shackle??????????? /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

3. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

When mine went on , we removed the axle and set the axle on the ground , with no weight on the springs and them just hanging the bolts came off easy ( AZ truck so that helps ) . For good measure we replaced the bushings front and rear on the back springs . /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

4. Highjaxx

Highjaxx 1/2 ton status

We used a small come-along, a big hammer, a big screwdriver, jack stands, floor jack, ect.

If you can find a punch that is about as big around as your bolt, you can hammer the punch through. That works for installing also, just put in the punch and then tap it out with the bolt.

Another bolt may work instead. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

5. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

I have sworn at many of those frickin bolts /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

I used a trick on two trucks..

hold a hammer on the head of the bolt

have some one drive a same size bolt onto the threads of the stuborn bolt.

once and "if" you can get 1/2 inch or more of the bolt head to stick out, take a wrench and applya side load on the shaft of the bolt, then use a rachet on the bolt head.

the side load helps break the bolt free and quits the turning of it with the bushing..if this doesnt work go get a acedilen..sp torch or a small torch and heat it up, then op her out. Most rv repair shops and suspension places sell the factory shackle for 15 to 30 bucks already loaded with new bushings. Likly you may destoy the bushing getting it out anyway.

If you need the # to the company I go through just let me know /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

good luck /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif

6. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    We used a small come-along, a big hammer, a big screwdriver, jack stands, floor jack, ect.

If you can find a punch that is about as big around as your bolt, you can hammer the punch through. That works for installing also, just put in the punch and then tap it out with the bolt.

Another bolt may work instead. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

[/ QUOTE ]the problem is the gas tank is right there and I cant get enough on the the swing to move the bolt

7. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

You might have to cut the head off of the bolt and hammer it that way.

I had some front bolts like that once. I ended up taking a sawsall and cutting between the hanger and the spring to get everything out.

8. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

just found a little torch do I just heat the head up then punch it out w/ a hammer /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif