Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

People who don't use their cars..........

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by AJMBLAZER, Apr 2, 2002.

1. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

People who don\'t use their cars..........

Does it frustrate anyone else to see people who own nice cars never use them to their full potential? I'm not talking 1G lateral skids or anything, but common, at least knock it past 70 once in the car's life!/forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

My mom owns a 2000 Impala LS. It's not a drop top 2 door 64 Impala with a 327 or a 96 Impala SS, but common mom, open that sucker up! I seriously doubt she's ever had it past 70 (speed limit in Michigan)./forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

I passed this guy in a Cadillac El Dorado today. He was doing 60 in the fast lane on the highway./forums/images/icons/mad.gif Aside from the fact that he was 10 under the limit in the left lane, it just kinda annoys me when people buy these high powered, expensive, well designed cars and never, ever use them.

I've got a neighbor with a 98 Camaro SS. 300 some horsepower and I think a 6 speed. Full options, looks mean. He NEVER drives it. Has like 7,000 miles on it. My dad says he's seen it out of the garage like 15 times since he got it.

Common people, have some fun with that $35,000 peice of meta you paid forl!/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

I dunno, maybe it's just me. This stuff ever bug anyone else?

2. pregate

pregate Registered Member

Re: People who don\'t use their cars..........

i see pretty much the opposite around here.. people with 4 dr civics trying to go 130, and geos cuttin people off..

but yea, if i had muscle, id be flexin it.. not irresponsibly though /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

3. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

My buddy had access two of the affore mentioned cars. Both of which were super fast. His brother had a 63 Impala SS 327 droptop (400+HP). That car was sweet. To bad it got stolen. Also his mom had an '01 Cadillac El Dorado. That car is wicked fast. We were doing 130 on the freeway one night, and it was still pulling hard when he backed out. His mom drives it slow and just cruises. She gets like 25MPG. He drives it and it gets like 17MPG. I would love to have that car.

4. 87GMC

87GMC 1/2 ton status

Worked at a detail shop when I was 16. Those people would bring their Corvettes, Mustangs, Vipers, etc. in to us. We would try to do our part to "break them in":) It was too much fun.

5. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

ummmm no it doesn't bother me... being bugged by someone not speeding in their fast car would be the same as those assholes who get bugged because I don't take my truck off road...

6. MudNurI

MudNurI 1/2 ton status

DDDDIIIIITTTTTOOOOOO!!!!!!

My mother in law has a Trans Am GTA, that John and his brother's bought for her for her 25th wedding anniversary. The car is now like 17 years old- with the ORIGINAL tires on it... They come off in the winter, and some crappy ones go on, just for storage, it has I think 21,000 miles. Never seen rain, snow, SHADE...only full sun days she takes it out. though she does open her right up on the highway- the only speeding ticket she ever got was with that car!

Personally, If she wants a car that she could sell now for probalby more than they paid NEW for it, hey go for it. I have a Blazer that hasn't seen the woods, and never will. But I also am not giong to be replacing the fenders I just replaced because of a "trail mishap"...I'm just not finding the fun in that. Which may just be why some of those people arent finding the fun in getting speeding tickets. John got ALL of his in the 'vette. needless to say it will be awhile before he gets another one LOL

Brandy

7. potato76

potato76 1/2 ton status

" 4 dr civics"
    I think he was talking about real cars not the toys. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

8. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

this is one that I have mixed feelings on... my 77 C20 suburban packing its massive overpowered 454 is capable of doing rapid stupid acceleration, 130 effortlessly ( prolly 140 tops, but not been there) and rides pretty nice to boot. by the same token, its fun to cruise in at about 40 MPH... just sorta touch the accelerator lightly off the line, and roll at about 40... the engine rumble at that speed has a really nice pitch to it, most of the lights are timed for 40 MPH anyway. I'm truthfully more impressed with someone who has a high performance vehicle who doesn't flaunt it, burn wheels at stoplights, speed, or any of that, especialy the older vehicles. I mean any retard with a car can race anyone, but only a truly refined individual can roll in a 9-12 second car, and not launch themselves into a street race with any retard who guns an engine at them.

of course, seeing a car designed to do 180+ going 10 below the speedlimit pisses me off. its like using the mona lisa for toilet paper...

-Rich

9. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

my friend's dad has a '99 Vette that he waxes like every weekend and drives maybe once a month. he put 23K on it in the first year, and put like 1-2K on it last year because he wants to make the warranty last longer or something/forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

10. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

We have that Hondas trying to go 100 here as well. It cracks me up, they actually pull up to me in my Firebird and want to race. Lets see, my high 10 second car versus their 17 second car /forums/images/icons/smile.gif I had 2.56 gears in it for a while, because that what it came with from the factory. In 3rd gear (th-400) it would do 175 mph. I can tell you that an old car isnt really meant to do that though, the front end unloads and is hard to switch lanes, but in a straight line it does good. And yes I know i was going 175 because I had the speedo pegged past 160, and it was acurate, and the tach was at 6,000 rpms, which when I figured it out by the calculations its about 185, but I figured with torque convertor slippage it would be about 175 !!

11. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

Just for the record I'm not trying to sound like a bad ass or brag or anything. Just wondering why people pay so much for very capable cars and then not use them./forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

I don't offroad my Blazer much (it's a 92 with IFS, I broke to much, learned that lesson) and I try to stay close to the speed limit. Cheaper that way./forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

12. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Most of the time it's mid life thing. Like running across a Vett or a Boxter with a 50year old in it with a soccer mom trying to push it out of the way in her voyager cause they are going the speed limit. Nobody drives the speed limit here in GA. Speed limit is like the recomended minimum speed. I run 80mph to work everyday (god it's great to go against the flow) and I'm still getting passed...thats where the speed limit is 65.
    Course right now we got all them damn Michigan spring breakers coming through planted in the left lane doing 55mph. Them michigan folks are like that....they are all drunk /forums/images/icons/smile.gif
    (I got license to make that comment.....I grew up in Troy)

13. 88jimmyoungowner

88jimmyoungowner 1/2 ton status

yep, here in Ga it is not just on the i-states. I am on 411 or 27 and i am going 10 over, and getting cars flying by me. I dont like to speed, but i go with the flow

14. 88jimmyoungowner

88jimmyoungowner 1/2 ton status

yep, here in Ga it is not just on the i-states. I am on 411 or 27 and i am going 10 over, and getting cars flying by me. I dont like to speed, but i go with the flow