Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

people with an ARB locker, what compressor are you using?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by yunit, Mar 1, 2003.

1. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

I am going to be ordering my ARB for the d60 this week, what compressor are people using and what would someone recommend I use?

2. ramjet gmc

ramjet gmc CK5 Staff Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

I am looking in to this to Pete if you would like a helper that weekend shoot me a pm /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. great scott

great scott 1/2 ton status

I am running ARB's compressor and as you probly allready know it is very slow filling a big tire like my 39.5 boggers but it came with the soliniods and fittings to hook up to my ARB locker and my front bumper is an air tank that the compressor just has to mantain so tire fill ups arent a problem.

4. jms

jms 1/2 ton status Author

ARB compressor; had it for 4 years; I have an air locker in the 10-bolt rear; the big O-ring that seals the little air tank at the compressor was leaking twice, so I had to replace it, and some silicone grease helped, too. In hot weather, I wouldn't count on the ARB compressor to fill up your tires: I had mounted the air chuck, but even with 32's, it took forever from 24psi to 30psi, and the little compressor got so hot you could cook burritos on it in absolutely no time. So in my experience, the ARB locker operation was trouble-free, even with the leak at the compressor (only consequence was that the compressor was kicking in more frequently); I'd say forget using the compressor for anything else - I for one don't want to take the risk and burn up the compressor and then not being able to lock the axle anymore.

5. trouble1

trouble1 1/2 ton status

how much pressure will the arb put in your spare (bumper) tank???

6. crwln73

crwln73 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I am going to be ordering my ARB for the d60 this week, what compressor are people using and what would someone recommend I use?

[/ QUOTE ]

Im going to run it off my A/C compressor.Its off a Cadilac.I have about $60 in the whole set-up;compressor,copper tubing,brackets,and hose reel.Along with the air tanks I made into the frame.It allows me to air my 38.5 TSLs from 6lbs to 25lbs in about 5 minutes per,also I can run air tools.Heres a pic of the air tanks and hose setup the tanks are the sub frame:

[​IMG]

7. Highlander

Highlander 1/2 ton status

For my Arb's I use their compressor, Now if you are going to use it to fill the tires Give some thought to put a different compressor in for that. In my case I'm going to run two compressors one for just ARB and the other for everything else.

Eric

8. crwln73

crwln73 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    For my Arb's I use their compressor, Now if you are going to use it to fill the tires Give some thought to put a different compressor in for that. In my case I'm going to run two compressors one for just ARB and the other for everything else.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Ive been tossing around the idea of feeding the air tanks with another compressor just in case one quits on me.Plus it will help to air the 42s(soon to be) up a little faster.Heres a good place to look; onboard air

9. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

The last compressor on this page:
    http://www.extremeoutback.com/catalog.htm

I am ver y happy with it. I do plan to regulate the line to the ARB so I can take advantage of the max psi on the pump. I will be adding another tank also (2.5 gal current).

[​IMG]

It does require some planning and install time due to its size.

10. XtrmChevy

XtrmChevy 1/2 ton status

First I used the AC compressor that came with the truck. All the sudden it stopped working. No pressure at all. Now I have an AC compressor of a Chrysler from early 70s I think. It is a V2 model with its own oiling. I think it gives more air than the original /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

11. great scott

great scott 1/2 ton status

I fill up the bumper with my shop compressor then use the ARB comp to maintain about 120 psi.