Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

People With Sm 465's

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TXFSHRMAN, Jan 17, 2006.

1. TXFSHRMAN

TXFSHRMAN Registered Member

im just curious, what size tires yall were running and if its on the stock 1/2 ton drivetrain....also one more thing i keep on reading about this manual 4 spd being a great transmission, but i dont see how someone would run through the mud with it since its gearing is so low......if you yall could give me some pointers on how not to red line and blow something thanks

2. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

im running 35s with stock 3/4 ton 4.10 gears. i run mud once in a while, i usually don't have a problem with the gears being too low, just pick the gear you want and run it, usually 2nd and hi. just listen to the motor and you shouldn't redline it. usually the problem i have in the mud is the clutch filling up and the clutch slips bad, enough that i usually get towed home.

3. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

42's....not on the stock drivetrain though. :D

For a truck driven on the street with any consistancy, I'd want a well built auto tranny. Before it's current truggy status, I used to dd my truck. I had an auto in it originally- a tired, worn out th350. Swapped in a big block and it died within a week. Went to the 465 after that. Haven't had any issues with it since, but it wasn't much fun to drive on the street everyday. Some guys like rowing the gears 500 times a day...10 years ago I would have loved it. Now I just want to get in, put it in D and go.

I LOOOOVE my 465 for wheeling only though. I'll never go back to an auto in the truggy. If I was into mud, I could see the auto trans having an advantage, but I stay far away from mud, so it doesn't matter. ;)

4. 1986chevy_rider

1986chevy_rider Registered Member

Well I'm running 37's with stock 1/2 drive train but at high speeds im only hittin bout 2000 rpm. gonna be gettin a whole 3/4 ton drive train.

5. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

40" hawgs (38.8") on my semi stock drivetrain... 14bolt rear and swapped in d60 front...
    smc465/np205..... no problems and I live for mud....

I had this setup...
    350/turbo400 shiftkit/np203/d44/14bff/3.73/33's

was a good setup... go and play... tromp the pedal and go.... however I put a shiftkit in the truck and it would rip your fricken head off..... even with that.... I went to
    350/smc465/np205/d60/14bolt/detroited front$rear/4.56/40" hawgs
    I WILL NEVER GO BACK TO AUTOMATIC!!!!!
    if you are in a mudhole... going forward and it is thick goo.... stop momentum.. put in reverse.... backup then forward.... this causes heat so better have a good tranny cooler..... plus more fluids and lines to worry about....
    with the manual you can get the r's up and let the clutch out.... I just like the entire control.......

I havent really done that much mud... just a bit and have not had a problem yet... I also know I havent done that much mud/muck cuz I havent gotten stuck yet:haha:

mostly water.. but gooy on the bottom....
    [​IMG]

my link...
    http://www.supermotors.org/vehicles/registry/detail.php?id=8011&s=24442#content

that was from last january...
    this is from this december...
    hard to tell but 1.5" ice I had to break plus NJ gooey swampmud
    [​IMG]

more ice and a slippery bottom!!!!
    [​IMG]

I had to get this out of my way first....
    [​IMG]
    link to that trip....
    http://www.supermotors.org/vehicles/registry/detail.php?id=8011&s=30364#content

I used to have my truck like this guys.... I got stuck here and there but not too much as I knew my limit....
    with the manual trans, lockers and bigger meats I havent experienced what my limits are... I keep on amazing myself....
    I revisited that first pic of me going through that water area..... puddle in the middle of the trail..... and this year it was so thick of ice.... about 2"+ and I actually drove slow... my truck was on top then would break through and slam down... with the truck in 4L and Creeper gear I was able to idle back on top and move a bit then drop back down... it was so deep this year that when I broke through the middle... it stopped my truck DEAD IN ITS TRACKS!@!!! that is how heavey the ice was... so I backed up a bit and used my double tube bumper to teach that ice a lesson!!!!:haha:

I didnt get any pics of it or video.. wish i did as it was sweet!!! :bow: