Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

People with Vortec heads, please read

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by '73 K5, Mar 5, 2001.

1. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

OK heres the problem. Maybe I talked to the wrong guy at Burt Greenwald Chevy, but who knows. When I put on my heads, there wasn't any kind of gasket to fill in the gap under the front and back sides of the intake manifold. Just a bunch of RTV is what I used. Its starting to leak out of the back now and I don't know the best way to fix it. How did you guys fix this problem? This guy said he sent me all the gaskets he had pertaining to those heads. Did he forget some or what? I'm also using the Edelbrock Vortec intake if that makes a difference.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

All the gasket kits I have gotten in the past had everything you were looking for. But you didnt say what brand you got. Since you said Burt Greenwald Chevy, I am assuming you got Genuine GM parts. Dont know about those G.GM stuff, but they are high price too.

3. coopertwpk

coopertwpk 1/2 ton status

all newer style intakes use oem black rtv front and back you must get it really clean and a good bead will do it ,there are no gaskets available .

88k5 silverado w4"lift soon to have <font color=orange>d44 and corp14ff</font color=orange> with 4.56s

4. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

I haven't done one of the Vortechs yet, but I have done a few LT1's which had the exact same problem. (rtv and oil leaks). How my racing buddy/race shop and engine builder told me to do it was to take a sharp punch or what ever and make a small indentation anout every 1/4 inch or so on the gasket area. Then put a good 1/4" bead of rtv on there (rec. Goodwrench rtv). This should be like toothpaste on a tooth brush think... not a thinish coating... let it setup up for 3 to 5 minutes and then place down the intake carefully and torque it down. I haven't had either one of them back and one guy actually had it done at 3 different dealerships under warranty.You also may want to let the rtv cure up good before running the motor... 1 or 2 days is ample time for the rtv to cure. Good luck

1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I won't use the rubber gaskets front and rear on any of my GM motors any more. Go buy the Gray Permatex. My engine building/racer friend told me about this. Put a nice THICK bead on the block front and rear, and set the intake down on top of it. Haven't had a leak yet.

Dorian
    My K5 and Chev/Olds tech/links page: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</A>

6. You could always use some JB Weld!LOL I replaced the intake on my 95 Z-28 and had the same problem.A friend that used to work at Bill Heard Chevy in Nashville told me about useing a punch and letting it set up for 5 min.Then install the intake and let it cure for 24 hours or longer depending on temp.This worked fine for me,in never leaked again.Good luck

7. realsquash

realsquash 1/2 ton status

Use grey RTV or black (not weatherstrip RTV) on the front/back. Do NOT touch the RTV as because the oil from your hands will make the RTV not stick to the manifold/block. Also, don't even think about smoothing it out with a putty knife or your finger because it won't seal. a nice 1/4" bead will do. Also let it set up for a day or 2 before u start it up.

Squash
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.trailrunners4x4.org/users/realsquash>http://www.trailrunners4x4.org/users/realsquash</A>

8. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

upstate NY(although I cant figure out why)
    I had the same problem. I tried many times and many different brands of RTV, even modified valley seals for a older engine(dont waste your time doing this they just blow out the sides) Finally the mechanics at my local dealer steered me to a RTV they use that is like cheese in a can (i forget the name) its great stuff and you dont have to mess with nasty tubes

Luke
    84 K5
    [​IMG]

9. blackwidowk5

blackwidowk5 1/2 ton status

I actaully had the opposite problem, I had a gasket set for the old style heads, and it leaked. I checked it out and was told that vortec heads don't need the front and back piece. So i had to go buy a new gasket set and I just used some RTV and haven't had a problem since. Good luck.